Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YtseJam, May 19, 2002.

1. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Hi all, I'm new here and was wondering what those of you with soft tops have or use. What you paid for it and if you are happy with it. I have one I got from Skyler for about $550. It is the style that comes straight down with the tinted rear window. I like the way it looks but don't like the way it secures. It has a track that bolts to the hard top mounting holes and is velcro all the way around. There is one snap in the top for locating the top on center. and there is a brace that goes in between the rear interior panel. I like the top but it comes loose on me and it actually got sucked right off of the truck one time going down the highway. Scared the living Shlt out of me. but my bike rack snagged it so it didn't land on the highway. Does anyone else have a better design?

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

when i had my skylar top i never had a problem with it comin off...did you attach the straps from the spreader bar to the floor??..that should keep it from flyin off..

3. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

I don't think that any of the available soft tops are going to provide the security, fit, and air-tightness of the hard top. Well, maybe the Can Back, but it's also $1,100...

I use my soft top to keep rain out while parked in the driveway and as quick protection against an unexpected storm while out & about, but I would never consider taking a four hour, 80mph highway trip with it on if you know what I mean. Just my $0.02

Pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/38405365HCSxDr

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i just ordered a can back today from 4 wheel parts...for 779.00 so the price droped alot from the 1100.00...only a few hundred more than a STC top and a little better quality

5. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

question for you and all can abck users- how hard is it to take completely off for true topless riding? im proably gonna buy a soft top after the summer and im thinking about the can-back and the fastrac from specailty top. does the can-back fold down for storage o the truck or do you have to leave it behind at the house?

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ask steve fox...but from the looks of the pics it dosent look like it just folds down like the STC tops but the fabric looks like it would come all the way off and would just leave the spreader bars goin accross...now as for the Kayline/STC..from what i have seen of it on my friends bronco..he has had it for a little over a year and a half and there are places that is starting to come apart...and really hard to get to fit right...he has the fast track type...but after lookin at his that is was turned me away from the STC and for the can back...i havent personaly seen a can back so i dont know how well its goin to hold up...but i would expect it to last a little longer than the kayline/STC

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well when i get the money im going for the skylark top...wiht a tinted window.i LOVE the way that looks...wiht my red k5..(thats what im painting it anyway)..rihgt now its rattle can black..wiht rust!! lol..

Bryan-later