Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88MudBeast, Jan 28, 2001.

1. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

I have been looking forward to the slowly upcoming warm weather for multiple reasons, but most of all because i get to take my top off and enjoy the spring and summer. In preparation for that im looking for a good reasonably priced soft top. Id like one that is relatively easy to assemble, and to take down too. I dont know too much about this whole soft-top business, so i dont know if, by putting one on, whatever is attached to the body to hold the top on will get in the way when i want to put the hard top back on. Incase that last sentence made absolutely no sense, what im trying to say is, i want to be able to put my hard top back on without a whole lot of hassle. So if you have any reccomendations, tips, or anything else, let me know.
    Big Jake

It's gunna be a WILD ride!

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

From what ive heard from alot of guys is first of all its hell to get the hard top on/off and once they have their softtop on they never take it off i know theres a post on this or the next page about softtops .

[​IMG]its a mole . . . not a seal!!

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Contact Damon at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.toyboxoffroad.com. He gave me a great price on mine ...oradok5.com>[url]http://www.toyboxoffroad.com. He gave me a great price on mine ...t the land FOR the people Not FROM the people

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

well its east really, just rake off the side tracks to the soft top when if becomes cold again, then put on the hard top. just get like 3 or 4 buddies to help u out w/ the heavy topper.
    but there will be snapps lefton the tailgate....

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've got the older style Kayline with the snaps, it was all they made at the time. I really wish I had the newer style, the snaps are impossible when its cold. And the zippers suck, they broke shortly after I got it.

At least with my top, I had to drill numerous holes in the bed rails and across the top of the cab. The rails for the soft top have to be removed when putting the hard top back on for the winter. Its not too big of a deal, since I only do it once a year. My trucks enough of a beater that I really don't notice the snaps across the tailgate with the hard top on.

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

Although I do not have a soft top, i've been looking for one for quite a while and personally I like the Skyler top, (http://skylercorp.com/). installation uses existing holes so no snaps or extra holes when you swap tops. But you can't use the backseat when its on. Personally I take my top off all the time in the summer, i've found it takes 2 people to get it off and 3 to get it on....more certainly helps. But I always end up putting it back on in a day or two...Its easy to do, just a little muscle to get it up in the air, the lift and tires only make it harder. I've seen setups before where people make a loft for their tops, back up to it, and can with minimum problems get it off themselves. I'm just too lazy to build one.

AH