Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft tops in seperate pieces?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by rick88blaze, Nov 9, 2005.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Is there any way I could just get just the back window from a soft top. I eventually want to get a full soft top, but not until I get a family cage in my K5. I gutted my tailgate after my back window shattered and I'm just using a piece of plexi-glass right now. If I can't just get a back window section, do you know where I could get the clear or tinted plastic used to make the windows so I could make my own?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Try a upolstery(sp) shop, boy that spelling is butchered, they should have what you need or be able to find it for you. If that other thing works out I will bring you some when i come out I have a friend who owns a shop.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Sounds good, I'll let you know what I find around here. :thumb:

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The back window doesn't really work with a hard top, maybe you could find someone that took a tailgate window out and get one cheap?

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Actually it might depend on what kind of soft top you want to use. in my half cab conversion I purchased a Bestop soft top, the kind with snaps. I laid it out over the hardtop before I unstitched the back window and the seams laid out real nice against the hard top curves. I actually used the back window from the soft top in my half cab conversion without modifying it at all, besides inserting some snaps into it. You would have to use some snaps to snap it to the exterior of the hard top, it probably won't fit in the original window groove the glass window went in.

Not to hijack but I also would like to know if you can purchase a back window seperately because my current one is clear and a tinted one would be nice. I don't really want one sewn in because the Bestop top, don't know about any other brands, the window is heat sealed/melted to the fabric, I think giving a better seal/less holes for water to come in.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

At this point, you might be better off calling Bestop direct, that way you end up with exactly what you have now. I doubt the STC window will fit the same.

7. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

The marine grade fabric companies have clear and tinted in all different gauges. I got a roll cut it to fit along with a peice of tonneau fabric for lower portion stuck on some industrial grade velcro and slapped it on giving me a half cab. I used all velcro between clear window portion and tonneau lower part so I wouldn't have to find and pay some one with industrial sewing capabilities. The whole thing is velcroed in place, tight for the rear window portion and loose on lower so large subwoofer box and other items can still go behind seats. So far works great keeps me warm and all peices are easily and cheaply replaceable. :D and now i can have truck box for tools!

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Bobalob,
    Let's see some pics. :D

9. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

I'll do some later today

10. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

okay I ordered the materials with the original intent of having a one piece cab curtain tonneau cover with the a hole cut out for window material sewn in but am poor and lazy so i forgot about it until weather started to get cold. I junked my top early in summer so I needed fast cheap fix. My piece of clear wasn't long enough for new simplified plan so velcroed smaller peice to larger for window stuck velcro every where so I can peel it off when sunny

blazer 013.jpg

blazer 014.jpg

blazer 016.jpg

blazer 018.jpg