Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Tops, who makes them?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landsmasher, Mar 22, 2002.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I live in So. Cal. and would like to find someone who makes Soft Tops for my 78 K5. Want to eliminate the tailgate alltogether. Anyone know who I can contact to get a custom soft top made in my area?

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Try a marine shop that makes covers for boats.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, the marine shop is almost always the best option. Personally, I am going to get a roll cage first... and then use it to stretch my own custom soft-top over. Oughta work out well, and price of the cage aside, it wont cost me $1k like a Canback!

J

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Where are good places to get fabric. I want to make a tonnau/ bed cover for mine, it will extend up the back of the cab too. Is there anywere to buy clear plastic used for windows?

5. landsmasher

Now there's an idea! Go to a boat builder to get something for my Blazer! At least it should be water proof! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks guys.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if your looking for a regular style top there is a post floating in the forum for a group buy on Specialty tops. These are the same as Kayline tops. There is a old write up http://coloradok5.com/kaylinereview.shtml]Kayline that will show you what this top looks like. Kayline closed but Specialty bought that patterns and tooling for this top. I have one comming for a review but it will be fore a 75 so a bit different than the one your truck uses.
    I think the group buy is being led by Top Off and it will be 10-15% depending on how many buy a top.

7. Grim-Reaper

And here is a link to Specialty. there is a couple off differnt styls including one without the corner window like in that reveiw.
    http://www.specialtytopco.com/

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Contact Supergas for the 10-15% deal. We have six people, apparently six others didn't want to do it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

9. landsmasher

OK looked at that site and none of them eliminate the tailgate. They also look kinda TOYOTISH.... LOL! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'll keep looking and maybe I'll just go ahead and fix the tailgate... thanks...

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

how would any soft top eliminate the tail gate?! If you wanna do that, just setup some kinda cross-bar support thing like the UAV has... and attach the soft top snaps to it. Presto, soft top, no tail gate. If you wanted to, you could add some tube to his design, and cover it with the same soft top material...

J

11. Grim-Reaper

Yeah I was trying to figure that out myself. Most folks that go to a soft top full time put on a truck gate.
    My truck is anything but stock and has barn door tail gate. I'm working out a cross bar like you mentioned. That will also let me access stuff with out having to open the window portion. With my truck standing 7ft at the roof it's a bit of a reach /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. landsmasher

I could do that. I've decided to go for the complete roll cage so I might as well tackle the tail gate while I'm at it. Needs new window mechanism and the sides of the truck need to be pulled in a bit too so it will close all the way.