Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SOFT TOPS????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tayven, Jul 15, 2004.

1. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

I cut the roof on my 76 and it is fine for the summer but I am wondering about what to do this Winter. Does the soft top from 73-75 fit on a cut top 76? Has anyone tried this? It seems like it would be the same but I just have not hear a definate.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I expect that to use a commercial top, you'll need to graft on a 73-5 windshield frame. Or go to a boat shop and have a top made to fit some standard rail or something for a custom top...

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't know what northwest you live in, but if you get any snow the soft top won't support it.

4. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

I live in the Kirkland, Washington area. I am mostly worried about rain and general colder weather. I will probably just use a bikini but it was something I was thowrin around. Arent the bodys and Dimmensions the same on a 73 as a 76? If I left enough metal above a windshield wouldn't it work? What did the profect money pit do that was different? or was it a 73-73

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah you can put a STC top right on it if you cut the door frames like a 73-75. Yelid to me did it on his 90. Project moneypit had i and was a 79. Works fine as long as the roof is cut at the same point as a 73-75. You need to weld a tab in to suprt the frames for around the windows. I have a STC review in the product review section that has some pictures of the installation.

6. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

hey tayven I'm in the middle of putting a STC top on my 73 this weekend, I'm in mountlake terrace if you want to check it out, most of the parts are still off the vehicle so they'd be easy to compare/matchup to see if it would work on yours.

Just a thought pm me if you're interested.

-jake