Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft tops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Jul 24, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm looking for a soft top. What does the Skyler top look like? The top I saw and liked was a Kayline top (I think). Where are these tops available and how much are they? I'd like to get rid of the hard top altogether. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Rene

2. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

check out the product reviews section on the homepage, there's a skyler review and links to their website.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT.

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

3. tRustyK5

I checked out the product review section (thanks). Nice top! Only one problem, I regularly have backseat passengers. I think that the Kayline top is a full top isn't it? Does anyone know of any links or info?
    Rene

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check out the Can-Backs. They're the best but they come with a hefty price tag too(900-1000).
    http://www.can-back.com

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Steve and I are doing a Fast Trac review on the Kayline Top. Coming soon. Plus I believe Steve will be doing a Can Back review. Keep tuned in for more info brought to you by the management at ColoradoK5.com. The top I bought is a Kayline Fast Trac and it is black with dark tinted windows. We should have the review up in a few weeks.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

7. tRustyK5

Thanks for all the info guys, I found a dealer for Kayline tops near where I live. I'll be giving them a call today.
    Rene

8. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

I just installed my fast trac top two days ago. A lot of people didnt like the looks of the corner windows, but seeing it in person, it doesnt look bad, and it really helps with visibility issues. Im only have one small complaint, the top is tight everywhere but where the flap in the back meets the strip on the tailgate onto which it attaches. Im looking into how to make it tighter though. Other than that it is a pretty good top. I got a charcoal top for my black truck, and it looks really good. Ill try to take some pictures before I go out of town tommorow.
    -Steve Long

These things are EXPENSIVE

9. Kiblsnbits

here's one pic

10. Kiblsnbits

Here's the other

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Wow, Looks Great. You just upped the excitement factor. My top will be in on Friday. I will install it Saturday. Hey, what is that gap on the front corner of the top near the top of the cab? It looks like water could get in there. Do you have any corner shots?

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

12. Kiblsnbits

I was also kind of worried about that gap, that is where the zip in side curtain meets the top part, and there is a little flap inside the top that I think is supposed to cover it from the inside. there is plastic sewn into the front that slips in the groove at the front, and when it gets near where the side part zips in, it seems like the plastic is sewn over. I havent really looked into it yet, but hopefully I can slightly modify it to cover better
    -Steve Long

13. Kiblsnbits

ok, i fixed it, the plastic was swen over, so snip snip, and now it seals a whole lot better around the corners. I would take some pictures, but its getting dark, and Im going out of town for a week. oh well. Ill look forward to reading all the posts when I get back!
    -Steve Long

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

15. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I've had a Kayline on my 73 for several years now and one thing I learned was if you keep the sides rolled up a lot make some sleeves out of real soft cloth to slide over the straps. Other wise the straps will scratch the hell out of the windows VERY quick. Also if you run with the sides up and the rear flap up you might need some straps from the rear top down to the tailgate. The wind coming over the windshield comes down really hard on the rear of the top. I used two bungee cords with decent tension and they seemed to fix the problem. It was easy to install and is compact so you can roll it to the back, tie it up and it rests just behind the rear seat! -Russell

16. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Does it leak when it rains or does the top seal really well at the attachments?

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

17. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I didn't think I was going to like the rear corner windows either but like Kiblsnbits said, the rear vision was improved. The only thing I didn't like was drilling holes in the tailgate and around the cab.

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/kayline/

Shawn
    87 K5

18. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Nah... no offense but those square designed tops dont do a thing for me. I much prefer a custom look. But the topless way is the way to go for sure!

Mike

http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thmpr

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

19. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I considered a custom fast-back top like Thumpers but there was a couple concerns I had:

Blind spots- Not only for the street but when backing up in a timbered area, it's nice to know whats behind you.

Our 2 children always ride in back and they are miserable when we hit the trails on a hot sunny day with no top on. Our 2 yr daughter gets sunburned so easy so I have to be careful. This top makes it easy to take off the sides for fresh air and still provides shade.

Shawn

20. shadetree

shadetree Registered Member

I've been running a Kayline top on my 86 K5 since 1993 and I have had few complaints. The top still looks good, however, the pointers listed on the other replies about scratching the windows are correct. The windows WILL scratch, all you can do is limit how bad they get scratched. I can still see out of mine, though, even after 7 summers of heat and dirt. My Kayline was reasonable and has proved durable. But occasional UV protectant and window cleaner/polish was needed to keep it alive.

One last piece of advice: Don't unsnap the top and try to re-snap it in cold weather. Better yet, put the hardtop back on for winter.