Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft-tops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Oct 27, 2000.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I'm just wonderin' about soft-tops. I've seen the Kay-Line and the Can-Back tops. Just wondering if there are any other notable brands.
    Thanks.

Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Best Top also makes them, you can write Can Back out of the picture, I spoke with the Rep. about a week ago and they are discontinuing the K5 top due to lack of sales. ( I thinks the lack of sales is because of the HIGH PRICE)

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Too bad someone doesn't make a top that would fit a 73-75, with a rear window, and flat back to the tailgate. That would be slick. Maybe I should design it, and sell on the web???

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Skyler makes a sweet set up, except you lose your back seat. go to http:\\www.skylercorp.com
    ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

5. FWP

FWP CRS

73-75, no cab, windshield only.- unless it's something new from them????

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

6. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I have a best top on my 72. I think the Kay lines are kinda ugly myself. Plus I understand they have a good sized blind spot in the rear corners. A problem the best tops don't have. Just my $.02

7. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

8. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Any of you guys with bestop's, how much did they cost?

Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.

9. Longfinger

Longfinger Registered Member

The best softtops I have seen were custom made by marine upholstery shops. Much more waterproof and not much more money than what's out there.

I reccomend against getting a Bestop. I got one and it was junk. It didn't fit well and the craftsmanship was terrible.

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Mine was made to my specifications by a local boat top sewing contractor. It cosdt me 400.00 and I love it.
    http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

11. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I have had a Best top on my bazers for the past four and a half years staight. I used the same top on both of the blazers I have owned in that time, with absolutely great performance from it! The fit of the top greatly depends on the time taken to fit it properly to the truck. Mine cost about $500 from 4wheel parts. I have used it in place of my hard top through both winter and summer alike! It keeps the rain out better than most hard tops, goes up and down with one person, rolls up on all sides giving a safari type of option. And it lacks the blind spots in the rear corners that the Kay line tops have. While this is probably more than $.02, it's just my opinion. Hope this helps you in your choice of tops.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I like my Kayline top.[​IMG] Blind spot? Spare me. What are you comparing it to? The hard top has a way bigger blind spot than the Kayline soft top.
    The fit and craftmanship of the Kayline is awesome, and the installation was a snap (pun intended). Also it doesn't leak, whereas my hard top always had a drip from somewhere.
    I think it comes down to personal preference for looks though. Everyone seems to like something different.
    But a blind spot arguement? Even with no top on my Jimmy I can't see an import thats right beside me. Thats why they make convex mirrors.

Just my biased 2 cents worth. [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

13. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Relax tRusty, I've heard people with kaylines bitch about having a blind spot in the rear. I don't have or like them so I wouldn't know. Just passing on what i've heard others say about them. As for me, with 11 inches of lift, and 40's, the whole right side of the truck is a blind spot! Just my $.04.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry Dude, just a little grouchy after work. I only have 4" of lift and 35" tires and the side of mine is one big blind spot too, thats why I think its such a stupid arguement[​IMG]

Rene (had my nap)

[​IMG]

15. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

16. FWP

FWP CRS

How does the Bestop attach to the bed frame, tailgate, and the windshield frame? On the roll up sides, do they stay up ok while goin down the freeway? How sturdy is the frame?
    Thanks.

17. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

is there any soft tops that you dont have to drill in your K5? That is what i dont want to do at all.

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have the Kayline Fast Trac top and I love it. It is very quiet, easy to install and remove, and it looks great. The Kayline has far more features than the BesTop. The Can Back is too expensive for me but I really like it too. I would say the Can Back is the toughest top of the three brands (I mean the materials). Kayline is very functional. If I were you, I would not waste the money on any top that snaps on, when you can get the track style these days. The new Kayline also has the 1/4 windows which increase visibility on and off road. Go Kayline!!!

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

19. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status