Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soften the ride

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trigger Creep, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Trigger Creep

Trigger Creep Registered Member

My 89 K5 is about to be put into use as a daily driver. How can I soften up the ride? The springs are very stiff.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Are they stock springs or lift springs? There are several ways to increase ride quality. Good shocks help alot. If the springs are old new bushings can help. A good way to increase soft ride is by changing your shackle angle.

Harley

3. Trigger Creep

Trigger Creep Registered Member

Springs are originals, no lift. I've looked for aftermarket leafs with a lessor spring rate, but can't find any regular production pieces.

The shocks have been replaced recently, but I can't tell what they are. No stickers, gas shocks with large white barrels.

Where can I find offset shackles? Is this something I have to fabricate? Can you explain in more detail?

The front is where I'd like some give.

Thanks!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check that your front isn't bottoming out. Your bumpstops and springs will show if it is. Mine seems to like to do this, and I'm running the HD 3 leaf fronts, shocks that aren't top dollar, but work.

If you've got the 3 leaf fronts, 2 leafs SHOULD be a bit less stiff.

Working on this issue myself, may go back to 5 leaf rears, 2 leaf fronts, good shocks. I've trimmed down a bumpstop, once I get it together enough to do some testing offroad, I'm going to see if getting more travel out of the suspension will lessen the jarring feel.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, good shocks make a world of difference. I went from Rancho 5000s to Edelbrock and it totally transformed my ride quality.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If your shocks have no Id chances are they are Ranchos. Rancho makes shocks for many aftermarket shock companies. Rancho shocks are stiff. When my Blazer had stock springs changing from Rancho to Gabriel Ultra shocks made a world of difference for the better in the ride.

7. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

I just put swaybar disconnects on the front of my stock truck, and it took alot of the jar out of it. definately reduced the binding. greasable poly bushings are next.

8. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

How much height will he lose going from 3 to 2 leafs?

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Who knows. I'd suspect brand new, ride height would be close to the same, but depending on engine and accessories, it probably varied up to an inch or so. Start throwing two leaf springs under a diesel with AC, and ride height would probably drop.

The springs seem to sit flat at rest, (or close to it) so it would be pretty easy for GM to keep ride height the same if the spring rate was changed depending on weight over the axle, and GM did change the spring rate for that reason. I believe only three different rates, but probably enough to accomodate the various engine and accessory options.

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Installing greaseable bushings will definitely soften the ride. The factory bonded rubber bushings act as springs. Ask me how I know!?!:haha:

11. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

Did a shackle fly at you?

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

ToughCountry EZ with ORD bushings=SleezyRide. I had to buy stiffer shocks.:doah: