Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

softer rear shocks??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Nov 5, 2005.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

My wifes 89 rides wicked rough in the back. I just installed gabrial gas shocks all the way around. the front rides ok, but the rear is rough!! Like it's almost solid!! I still have most of the rear interior out, so it's kinda empty back there. I am gonna but the interior back in on sunday. I hope that will add enough weight to settle it a bit. Just wondering what some other people run for shocks. This is just a daily driven street truck.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Has it always been rough, or is this something that just started bothering you with the new shocks??

Does the truck have any add-a-leafs out back? Are the bushings and sleeves all rotten/rusty? Sometimes replacing the bushings can free up a suspension that's rusted into a stiff, non-compliant buckboard. Removing a set of thick add-a-leafs will cost you some load carrying capacity, but will soften up the ride too...

3. bablazer73

A little background would have helped!!
    It has a 2" suspension lift. new rough country springs up front and blocks in rear. I ran it with the stock shocks (monroe gas magnums) and it rode fine. or softer anyways! Did the front shocks a couple weeks ago. Didn't notice anything different with the front ride. Put on the rears last weekend and the rear ride went to crap!! The old shocks were still charged, just wanted to get the longer shocks on because of the lift.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Rough country springs are stiff. Wondering if part of the stiffness in the rear is coming from less flex in the front. Blocks should not have affected anything, unless the driveshaft angles are now causing a bind. If the problem really started when the shocks were replaced, then it has to be the shocks. You may want to look into Tuff Country sx8000. like 39.00 each and pretty soft.

5. bablazer73

The lift isn't the problem. The lift was in before I changed the shocks. Just want to see what other people might be running for rear shocks.