Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Softer ride in the front--what custom springs or options?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Feb 1, 2004.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Current specs are 6" BDS springs with the lower leaf removed due to the bouncy factor already and ES9000 shocks.

It still rides pretty stiff in the front and has a pretty good bounce factor. On one hand I consider buying an adjustable shock but on the other I could use that money for a pair of custom front springs. I have also contemplated going coils but I don't really want to "leaf" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif the idea of having a leaf spring up front with a good ride and good trail flex. 99% of my K5 is daily driven so I have to keep it road worthy.

I was thinking of tinkering with a factory front spring and maybe adding some leaves but that is more or less trial and error and that could get real old. Then there's the custom spring option but that could get expensive.

Just curious what y'alls thoughts are??

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Current specs are 6" BDS springs with the lower leaf removed due to the bouncy factor already and ES9000 shocks.

It still rides pretty stiff in the front and has a pretty good bounce factor. On one hand I consider buying an adjustable shock but on the other I could use that money for a pair of custom front springs. I have also contemplated going coils but I don't really want to "leaf" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif the idea of having a leaf spring up front with a good ride and good trail flex. 99% of my K5 is daily driven so I have to keep it road worthy.

I was thinking of tinkering with a factory front spring and maybe adding some leaves but that is more or less trial and error and that could get real old. Then there's the custom spring option but that could get expensive.

Just curious what y'alls thoughts are??

[/ QUOTE ]

Although it goes against my better judgement to give advice to an OSU fan, I'm feeling froggy /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I would say your best bet would be shocks. Even for a bling bling set of adjustables like the Rancho 9000, you'll spend a lot less money than investing in a set of custom leafs.

I don't know much about the Pro Crap shocks, but from everything I've read about the BDS springs, doesn't seem to me it's the springs that is causing your problem, it's the shocks. With the off the shelf shocks, you're gonna get a one size fits all valving, whereas with the adjustables, you can get it a little closer to controllng the spring action, which is their job.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I didn't think that the springs would be causing the bounce factor either but wasn't for sure. However, the rear does seem to ride smoother than the front so maybe the springs have a little something to do with the bounce factor /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

As far as adjustable shocks, I have looked into the Pro Comp MX6 shock. It's the same shock Watson runs on his 'burb and he has had nothing but good things to say about them here.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The springs will bounce, no doubt. Fun can be had driving around with no shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The shocks control the spring action.

Real quick, do you have the same shocks front and rear, or different?

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Same shocks on all four corners

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The springs will bounce, no doubt. Fun can be had driving around with no shocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    H3LL yeah! Death wobble and no rear shocks with 38.5" tires is the ONLY way to go /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

And I agree with everyone else that you may want to try a better shock, or even dual shocks up front. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as I know BDS makes the best riding spring on the market, it doesn't get much better than BDS...

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The softest springs seem to be the Tuff Country. Theres a spring rate table on this site. The BDS rates are in the 400+, the Tuff Country are around 250ish.

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

That's for 4" springs. From what I understand tuff country doesn't make an ez ride 6" front spring? So that would put BDS and TC at about the same rate right? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Tuff Country does make an EZ ride 6" spring for the front, it is PN 18670, and carries a rate of 465, which in my book is a giant leap from the 325 listed for the 18470 4" EZ Ride spring. suddenly i'm reconsidering my idea of a 6" lift to clear 36s.

i cant seem to find any info on the BDS springs on t heir website.