Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

softer ride??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Mar 27, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have the 4" rough country lift and it rides pretty rough and I was thinking about taking off the sway bar, will it help any? ne one have ne other ways to soften up the ride?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the sway bar may help some. with the stiff springs, you shouldn't need it.

you may wanna try to remove a leaf. not sure if it will last /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the sway bar may help some. with the stiff springs, you shouldn't need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that, with softer springs with out the sway bar you'll be tippy around corners if you don't slow down. But with stiff springs from Ruff country you shouldn't need the swaybar. Thats just my 3.5 cents worth.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:cough:shocks?:cough:

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shocks do not support weight, they only dampen motion.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought some soft ride shackles several years ago that are on thier third chevy truck. Well now a blazer. They make the rear really smooth for the highway and are over ridden as the springs compress. Work great!!!

7. 85mudblazin

where do you get these soft ride shackles? I have never heard of them before. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I second that, with softer springs with out the sway bar you'll be tippy around corners if you don't slow down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed no change.

If you feel that much body roll you were going too fast in a lifted rig anyway.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shocks do not support weight, they only dampen motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif You're going to argue with Bubba about shocks? I think a guy who loves desert-racing would know a little about what he's talking about.

What you said is partly true...they damp motion. And, by damping motion, they effectively change your ride characteristics. Say you hit a speed bump. Your shock length is going to see a sharp change in length. With a cheap shock that's valved rather stiff, that change in motion is going to be damped faster than with a better shock. The faster the damping, the harsher the ride feels.

10. 85mudblazin

I have pro comp es 3000 shocks all around so I dont know what a better shock would be, I think I might just swap out the rough country junk and get tuff country ez-rides. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have pro comp es 3000 shocks all around so I dont know what a better shock would be, I think I might just swap out the rough country junk and get tuff country ez-rides. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Smart move !!!

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[quote /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif You're going to argue with Bubba about shocks? I think a guy who loves desert-racing would know a little about what he's talking about.

What you said is partly true...they damp motion. And, by damping motion, they effectively change your ride characteristics. Say you hit a speed bump. Your shock length is going to see a sharp change in length. With a cheap shock that's valved rather stiff, that change in motion is going to be damped faster than with a better shock. The faster the damping, the harsher the ride feels.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Look at the date on this post, it's very old.

2. While it is true that bubba is into high speed stuff, i think any tech advice that he has ever given on that subject is minimal at best anyway. Nobody has ever really asked him.

3. Cheap shocks tend to be softer than more expensive ones, not the other way around. When you pay for a better shock it's not usually to get a better ride. It's usually to try to control the motion of a heavier load, or one with a larger bore to try to resist fade for a longer period of time in more extreme conditions.

The TYPE of shock you choose is far more important to the way that your truck will ride as a result anyway. Some designs are more prone to stiffening up your ride, and some are quite soft.

If you have 600# an inch springs, it doesn't much matter what kind of shocks you have. In a 106.5" WB vehicle and those kind of front springs, the ride is going to be stiff without question no matter what you've got up there.

If anyone feels the need to continue a ride quality/harshness discussion based on shock design I'm prepared to do so, but I really don't think it is necessary to discuss this issue any further. Shocks really don't have that serious of an effect on making a vehicle ride worse. That's the job of the springs--shocks are designed to provide ride control. There are all different designs, mountings, etc., but one thing is common about all of them--the basic idea isn't to firm up or soften your ride (although as you stated they can occassionally). Their function is simply to control the motion of your suspension.