Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Softer springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, Apr 19, 2000.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

The rear springs on my 73 K5 are pretty stiff and it seems I could get a lot more flex out of a softer spring. Right now I have a 5&1/2" block in the rear but don't want a full arch lift spring because of cost and stiffness. I've noticed on my 77 Chevy 2wd (1/2 ton or 5/8 ton, not sure) the rear springs are thinner and there's at least 3 more leaves in the pack. This makes a big difference in the ride comfort and smoothness of spring travel, not to mention they have more arch. My question is, Has anyone used these truck springs before with a shackle flip? How were the end results? Is it worth the time to find an old set of springs to use with a shackle flip, or try to find an affordable arched spring?

Thanks, Russell

2. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to try this again. Maybe everyone was on vacation the first time I posted this question. Could use some input, or anyone near Huntsville with a set of 6" rear springs for sale.

3. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

im not sure about switching springs from a 2wd truck, but if a softer ride is what your after, then go with a shackle flip/spring combo. you can go with a 4" shackle flip and 2" block or a 2 1/2" shackle flip with 4" springs or a 4" shackle flip with 2" springs. the latter will probably give a little bit softer ride and help eliminate axle wrap because the spring is on the axle tube and wont be arched as much. that and some softer valved shocks and you are ready to go. hope this helps.