Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

softride springs, all four, no lift, who, how much

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Apr 30, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I want to put some softrides on to make the DD more comfortable. I know they have a 2.5 softride, but that's like 3-4 inches of lift, plus that over the saggy factory springs. I'm looking for a stock to 1" lift (over factory) softride spring for all four corners.
    Anyone /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

No different shocks, steering stuff, drive shafts (which seem short now), brake lines or any of that, 4 new springs and probley u-bolts.
    Know of any manufactures, someone have a saggy 2.5 rancho kit for sale (all four spring setup) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Try National Spring, they are about 500 a pair, but
    well worth it. If you just looking for a stock ride
    and 1" of lift, buy some new O.E.M. replacement springs
    and add an ORD Zero Rate.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    buy some new O.E.M. replacement springs
    and add an ORD Zero Rate.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Problem is OEM will be as stiff if not worse than the current springs. They will be like 3 leaf front and 5 rear plus the overload. Stock heigth would cool with me, I'm wanting ride comfort /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    2.5" rancho softrides would be cool, IF they where just 2.5" inches. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Cost wise, I will likely just do the rancho kit like $550 with new ubolts shocks bushings /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Just seeing what all options are out there. When I rebuilt/ started rebuilding the first time around I went stock because I didn't know better /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I bought a '83 crew cab that had 4" softrides all the way around. Never wheeled, heavy road truck. after I got it there was about 15,000 miles on the lift. The springs settled so much I had to remove the 4" steering block and install a 2" dropped pitman arm, made the draglink level. Know of others that have had/seen the softrides settle this much. So given some time and mileage what might the 2.5s settle down too? My truck with the settled 4s rode just beautiful.

For my sub I plan on running 6" EZ rides in the rear. From what I've heard they hold up better than the softrides. A slightly higher spring rate would be ok since I want to pull a trailer with it. But I have some air bags if it comes down too it.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just got a 4" kit. You know you want to do it!! New, softride springs with bushings that aren't all seized will ride better than your current setup too. Put antiseize all over the bolts and put the special grease on the bushings.

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Stiff! not hardly, and most O.E.M. will be two in the front
    with negative ach, and a lower spring rate than most
    pre-fabed lifted springs.

Good luck

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Stiff! not hardly, and most O.E.M. will be two in the front
    with negative ach, and a lower spring rate than most
    pre-fabed lifted springs.

Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

With rubber bushings that are all seized, the spring rate won't much matter.