Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Softtop for a 73-75 Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jul 23, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I am going to get a softtop for my 74 k5.. full topper... i see 2 choices the fast-track and the snaptop.... what is the difference?? anyone have one or the other and good pictures? how well does it seal.... is it tough? how about cleaning??? easy to put on and off??? i know they will leak some what.. but how bad???

thanks.. doont want to spend 600 bucks and wish i got the otherone...

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'll speak from just the snap style Bestop for now. If you don't mind drilling holes in your truck, and I mean a LOT, I've yet to have a leak with mine and the noise level didn't really change.

That being said, the fastrac top looks REALLY nice and my bet is that you are not gonna have many problems with leaks. These things have come a long ways. If the top on my 89 can keep out more rain than my hardtop, then that's gotta say something.

Here's a nice pic of the fastrac from Specialty top company
    [​IMG]

3. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

I have a 75 with a Bestop softtop. I love it, however, If I were to do it again, I would go with the Specialty Top Co fasttrac. Alot of nice features. The windows remove independent of the top, letting you go safari style. The Bestop sides and rear roll up, thus their version of safari. Just my opinion.

Tom

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well first let me explain that while the best top requires you to drill a bunch of hols along the bed rail. All the tops available for these years are going to require you to drill a few holes accross the top of the windsheild Frame. The STC Snap top has rail for the top of the bed rail that bolt to the existing bolt holes for the hard top. The snaps go on the tracks not the body.
    The Fast track uses a extruded peice of plastic in place of the snaps. THis distributes the tension more evenly and you don't have a problem with the snap pulling through the fabric. The windshield uses a track instead of snaps also. Still needs some holes drilled to hold it down. The tail gate on all the tops on the market also needs a track or snaps put on it.
    The other advatage to the fast track is it forms a better seal since the track runs the whole length not a snap every 6 inches. I have a fast track on my 75. I'm very happy with it. If you hit my ColoradoK5 link in the bottom there are pictures for a write up that will be posted shortly. Just waiting on STC to approve the text.
    CK5 Members also get a discount on the top on the CK5's sister site http://Offcamber4x4.com

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nahh here is a better shot. It's on a truck that get's used...MINE
    [​IMG]

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

There are very few qualities that I don't like about the fastrac. The track system is NOT one of them. I like that idea a lot better than the snaps, but I can't seem to get the reps at Bestop to consider it. The one quality that I don't like is the blindspots in the corners. I'm REAL thankful I don't have those, I'm a bad enough driver as it is /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Oddly enough, I put my Bestop on when it was blazing hot outside, then turned around and watched it shrink in the winter just WAITING for the snaps to pull out, they didn't though /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Didn't even show signs that they might want to anytime soon. Guess I got lucky there.