Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

softtop help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Jan 25, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i have a brand new bestop softtop sitting here waiting for nicer weather. question though, this is the type of top where you have to drill like 50 + holes in the sheet metal. i can find no reference in the instructions that you can put the hard top back on after instillation. does anyone know if the snaps will interfer with proper seal of the hardtop. if this is true i may not want this softop. someone let me know who has had experience with these. thanks.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

2. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

On my 79 the snaps dont interfere with the hardtop at all. You do have to remove the two bow brackets and the two loops that the straps hook to to put the hardtop back on. That's only a few screws though, only takes a few minutes.
    Make sure you wait till it is really warm to put the top on as it contracts in the cold. Do it just like the instructions say and you wont have a problem. Any ?'s PM me. Hope this helps.

3. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

I have a Bestop on my 75 and the snaps do not interfere with the hard top at all. I left the soft on this winter, and no problems at all with the shrinkage. I even rolled the sides up a few times. I do reccomend that you go to a boat store and invest in some stainless snaps. You will not regret it. Also, when you drill the holes in the body, before you install the snaps, put some silicone in the holes.

Tom

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!