Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

solar flood lights?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by four_by_ken, Dec 18, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am hoping to get a solar flood light... does anyone have one already and do you like it? How long does the light last?

This is going up on a horse shelter like 300ft from the house. And I dont want to run power out there. But, it would be nice to be able to get say 20-30 min of light out there when feeding, or just putting the horses back out after a night of riding.

Anyone?

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

if your talking about the self cntained ones, unless theyve changed the ones we had a few years ao sucked. too dim but Ive seen some at a customers that had had the 2'x2' solar set up they use for school lights and trafic signs and it wass cool, sort of a batery system that re charged and then ran whatever was pluged into it

3. four_by_ken

From what I remember, yeah, they sucked.

But, I was poking around and there looks to be some out there that are pretty nice now. On is a 24buld LED, but its like $150.

I just am hoping I get lucky and someone has some experience with the new types that are out now.

Anyone?

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well....... :cool1:

5. four_by_ken

If I can get it to last say 15 minutes in the mornign and 30 minutes at night, that would be fine. So... say about an hours worth of light per day.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

7. four_by_ken

That is what I am looking for. But, I am hoping someone has alrady bought one of the types out there, and can let me know if it is any good or not.

I know 3-4 years ago they were all just about junk. But, things have changed a lot. And I dont want to buy one and have it still be the old junk.

I know some of the new LED ones are simply amazing how bright and how long they last per charge. But, they can be anywhere from $150+

I dont want to spend that much and be disappoitned.

8. four_by_ken

That link is for two 10watt bulbs. That wont be too bright.

I thougth about getting one of those and replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs, but that would probably be just as expenisve as going and buying the LED one to start with.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You have a couple of things working against you. First, it takes a LOT of solar energy to put a decent charge into a battery. This means that you need bright, sunny days and a decent sized, good quality solar array. Second, batteries store that energy in chemical form and the chemical reaction drops off quickly as temperatures drop. :(

The LED's sound like a good solution, as they operate on VERY low current, so even a weak battery should provide at least a bit of light. I have a LED Rayovac headset that's powered by just 3 AAA batteries and it throws an impressive amount of light. It's also supposed to last 200 hours on just those 3 tiny batteries. :) The low current draw means that the battery wouldn't have to work nearly as hard.

10. four_by_ken

Yup, this is my thoughts exactly. I have read that 10% of the light from the sun actually gets used to charge tha battery, then with a incandescent buld, 10% of the power goes to light and the rest as heat.

The LEDs are no where near this. I think I have to start looking into the LEDs as an option.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I added a second link to my eariler post check it out.
    You are not going to get a bright light from solar power lights. They operate off a 6 volt battery. But a 6 watt bulb with a 4.2 amp hour should last at least 1/2 hour. And put out enough light to get chores done.
    I have similar halogen bulbs in the emergency lights in my buildings. They are powered by 4 amp hour batts they have to last 1.5 hours by law.

12. four_by_ken

http://www.solarilluminations.com/acatalog/Solar_Powered_Floodlights_Security_Billboard_Sign_Lights.htmlI am thinking about this one. ITs kind of expensive, but would be nice if it works as they say. And I could probably tap into the battery and put a small LED lamp inside the shed. The large one ouside the 'shed.'

The shed is a 12x20 'garage' that stores the hay and tack. With the hitching post outside. Thats what I want to light up.

And if I can get something that works, I may get another small light to give just a little light out in the lean-to when feeding the horses.

13. four_by_ken

I just wish I could find one that runs on a 12volt battery. Then I could use a larger marine type deep discharge battery, like what I have for my sump pump.

If it can run my sump pump, I would think it would work pretty good for a 24 buld LED light.

14. four_by_ken

Hmmm... I just remember that Optima has a 6v battery. I think it has something like a 44Ahr rating. The ones in the LED light kit come with a 6Ahr rating.

The Optima should last a lot longer. Hmm... but that adds on another $100

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The problem is in charging the battery. Those small solar chargers can typically output just a few milliamps in direct sunlight. It's enough to charge a small battery, but probably not enough to charge a larger one. The internal resistance of a large battery is too high. :(

16. four_by_ken

Yes, thats true.

I am starting to look at buying the pieces seperate and making my own setup. May cost me the same in the long run, but I think I would end up with a better solar panel, battery and lamp.

We'll see what I can find!!!

Any more opinions are ALWAYS welcome.

Thanks guys