Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sold my 79 C-10 today...sad day,but I had to do it..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Sep 21, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep...SOLD!:doah: ..hated to see it go,but I couldn't swing 3 vehicles on the road any longer..:(

Finally, someone who likes old chevy trucks happend to see it at my friends used car lot when I was there helping him fix a Volvo yesterday..it was surreal--we had a 1989 240DL Wagon,maroon,up on the lift--and an identical TWIN to it pulls up ,and the guy driving it looks over an Isuzu Trooper--but decided 2500 bucks was out of his price range..

Even HE was suprised to see an identical Volvo as his!..he asked "who's got that yellow truck for sale?"..I spent about a half hour showing him the truck..he's a carpenter in need of a truck for work and play..he liked the fact its emission exempt--said he blew tons of money on Fords he had,to get them to pass the smog test--didn't want that hassle anymore!..

This morning,he showed up at my house--took it for a drive for about 20 miles--he put 10 bucks worth of gas in it,and he liked the way it rode and handled,and was suprised it didn't use all the gas up--we went on the highway,around town,and he seemed right at home in it!..you can tell when the "right" person is buying something..

He has a few Beagles,and plans to put a cap on it,and use the truck to go to Maine hunting..says he'd prefer a 4x4,but didn't have much luck finding one for less than 2K!..and he said my truck was the only one he could hop in and drive!--saw many that needed motor work or trannys,and body work due to rust for twice the price I was asking..he didn't even try to jew me down!..:eek1:

He was the only one to look at it that wasn't turned off by the "Chevy puff" when starting it,or its shabby cracked dash pad ! (my dogs will chew it up most likely anyway,he said!)..he's got all kinds of plans for it,and I'm glad it went to him,and not someone who'll trash it right away..I'll be seeing it around,he lives only a mile from my friends car lot..

I got 900 bucks for it..I probably could have gotten more had I sold it through a classic car magazine,or E-bay,etc..but I didn't want to deal with strokers a thousand miles away..the truck was very solid,and will last many more years if taken care of..I think he'll be very happy with it,unless he tries going too far off road with it..I told him to bring chains when he goes to maine!.

I like a 4wd better myself,the 2wd was OK for a summer cruiser,but now I am already getting my 82 K20 diesel fired up,and tomorrow I'll renew the plates ,and get a sticker on it--first I have to fix the brakes though--needs a master cylinder..I was suprised it fired right up today--it hasn't been started since july!..:eek1:

Oh well...one down!..now to decide whether to scrap my van or not next..its been sitting nearly 3 years,and looks pretty tough..:(

Guess I'll have to revamp my "signature" now...:crazy:

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

give me a quick run down on the van... i might be interested... lol

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It "needs TLC"...

Van is a 1981 G10..about 180,000 miles,has a 1973 motor,a 307 from a chevelle...turbo 350"C" tranny (has lock up converter)..2.73 rear end from a 78 van ,(original 3.08 one ate the carrier housing)...motor runs ok,has new timing chain and gears..not very peppy though..

Its pretty sluggish due to the high gearing and wimpy 307,but it gets decent mileage,about 15 mpg..has an "economaster" Holley 2 bbl carb..body is pretty rough,its been patched up,all the door bottoms,and the rear tailpan was replaced..it has bondo in many spots,and will need more patches!..leaf spring on the drivers side rear has a busted "eye",has metal clamped around it,I drove it like that for 2 years,but it should be replaced!.its gotten rusty underneath from sitting..Paint is faded bad..I should have cleaned out my garage,and put it inside when I took it off the road...too late now..:doah:

It's been sitting in my driveway since december '03..it has a full sized custom bed in it,all carpeted inside..I drove it to NY several times,and to TN in 1992--had it since 1990!--I put the motor in it in 2001,it was a 6 banger originally..

I kind of wish I hadn't done all that work,then used it one year and then parked it..its "nap" didn't do it any justice!..its restorable,but it would be a lot of work..I've kept it mostly for sentimental reasons,and it makes a good storage bin!..plus I might be living in it if my mother passes away,and I end up getting zilch from her estate,which isn't an impossibility..:(