Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

solder it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RockyRider13, Jul 22, 2002.

1. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

My oil cooler jiggled loose and ended up getting a Very small hole in it. We're only talking a few drops a day, so would a high temp acid base solder drop work, or would the oil be contaminated, melt it, would it break loose? What do you guys think.

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

JB Weld that biatch!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm not sure on the solder melting point, but if its well over 230 degrees than it is safe to use it.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Clean the spot with brake cleaner, to remove any oil from the surface. Then lightly sand it so that you have clean, shiny copper to solder to. Clean it again with the brake cleaner, wait for the fumes to dissipate (that stuff is probably highly flammable!) and then solder away. This assumes that you have a copper tube cooler. If it's the stacked plate style, those are made from aluminum and solder won't stick to it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Yes, definately solder it.

JB Weld is awesome stuff, but after so many heat cycles, it will get brittle and flake off. It's a good temporary fix, but if you can solder it now, go ahead and do that.

Yes, watch out for the brake cleaner...I almost set my whole garage on fire last week doing the same thing /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    It is important to get it clean though.