Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

solenoid bypass Q?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudfanatic, Sep 5, 2000.

1. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have an external solenoid, I have wires and bolts to bolt it to the fender, I know how to wire the sucker up. What I am having the trouble with is without buying the summit kit how do I wire the starter to the existing solenoid? can I use a wire? do I need to form a piece of metal? then does it hook from the hot terminal on the existing solenoid to the spot on the starter where the solenoid activates? this makes sense but I havent even pulled my starter off yet to look at the mess.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

You can use either thick wire or a piece of metal. The metal is just a small piece with 2 holes (small and large hole). When you wire the remote, it should have no voltage going to the starter except when the ignition switch is turned for cranking. Be sure to wire the main power wire that was on the starter to the battery side of the remote solonoid.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status