Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solenoid Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, May 13, 2001.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I have a Ford solenoid on my drivers side fender just behind the washer fluid. It probably replaced the original one. There is only one wire going to it and it attaches on the firewall above the back of the engine. What does this soleniod do?

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

With only 1 wire attached, probably nothing now. It was probably used for the charging circuit on a trailer towing wiring harness. It may look like a Ford solenoid but is more likely a 100% duty cycle version. That is where mine is as it's a good location to tie into the terminal point on the firewall above the engine.

Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

3. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

It has only one wire attached to it? The Battery cables arent attached to it? If they are, then it probably is a Ford solenoid that is used to help prevent the hot start problems that are common with Chevy V8s. I have a Ford solenoid on my truck for just that purpose and it works great.

'78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt rear w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://65.11.18.114>http://65.11.18.114</A>

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

It could be the starter solenoid but usually they are mounted on the right side near the battery and same side as starter. At least that's where I have mounted them on my last 3 Chevys. You're right about the hot start problems and using the Ford solenoids to solve them. Have also been using the gear drive starters to eliminate problems.

Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Sparky87k5 on 05/13/01 12:39 PM (server time).</FONT></P>