Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soliciting doubler crossmember pics - Resurrected

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, May 25, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, looks like the doubler project is a go. Now I need to figure out if I want to modify the two stock crossmembers I have, or get custom ones done. Anybody have some pics of what they are running on their doubler setup? I'd probably just've gone with a 4x4iron product (I have their bumpers) except they went out of business. To be honest, I'd rather just order them up from somebody if anybody has any recommendations? But I'll also take all the pics I can get.

UPDATE: Ok, resurrected this old post because I've installed the doubler with the stock crossmembers and I really don't like it. I've scrounged up every custom crossmember setup I can find for doublers here but I still need some more pics. Especially if anybody has good pics of the 4x4 Iron one. Yunit is sending me some pics but anybody else have pics of a custom doubler crossmember setup?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

There is a picture of the one we made for the Sub in the July 05 issue of Four Wheeler.

3. Desert Rat

Well Steve, I have a bunch of your other products already on the rig so it wouldn't be lonely. I didn't even know you made them....... I'll be calling....

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ord doubler w/ 205 rotated up 2". 2 stock crossmembers. rear is unmolested front is notched & then boxed. i had to make some 1" spacers out of 1 1/8" dom to get the 203 adapter to reach. i am only running 4" front springs & my d-shaft wouldn't get close at full droop. i am going to swap to 56" frts & that may cause some interferance, dunno we'll see. here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Here's my Gen1 doubler crossmember setup-
    [​IMG]

All OEM parts. :D

6. Desert Rat

Red X on that one. Anybody else? 4x4 Iron doubler crossmember pics would be great.

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't have a pick but what I thought about doing was to connect both of them together with a skid plate then cut off the the end that goes under the driveshaft and box it then triangle brace it to the other then to the frame. Kind of like a H missing a leg.

8. Desert Rat

I was thinking of something similar. 4x4 Iron did something like that and I have a pic of it here:

[​IMG]

But, I'm leaning towards doing something like ORD did here:

[​IMG]

Which is more like the tubular 4x4 Iron one but with square tubing.

9. Zeus33rd

Heres some working pics of mine...
    [​IMG]

Just two stock crossmembers and a couple skid plates. Well the front one isn't stock anymore, I had to modify the hell out of it to work with the looooong front shaft.
    [​IMG]

10. short sub

short sub Registered Member

i used two stock x memebers on mine too- it looks kinda like Kid Jethros' except i made my clearance for the driveshaft go down instead of up using a 6" diameter pipe cut in half and angled to match the contour of the front drive shaft. I did that to help protect the shaft and it has actually helped save it once already. Later Ryan

11. Desert Rat

I noticed that you bolted both crossmembers flat on the botton of the frame. What did you do about the angle of the two cases? I found that the rear doubler adapter hangs about an inch or more lower than the front stock adapter. Right now I have both stock crossmembers on but I spaced down the rear one with washers temporarily. Also, what is the purpose of the hole in the front one there?

12. Zeus33rd

I added a 3/8" thick spacer under the tranny/203 adapter. Bolt the rear x-member to the frame and rear adapter thingy. The bolt your front x-member to the frame, but don't bolt it to the tranny. Make sure your rubber mounts are sitting on the x-member, then measure the gap between the adapter and the top of the rubber mount. Thats how thick the spacer should be.

If your asking about the hole in the front crossmember in my pictures, then I have no idea...lol. I just grabbed a couple crossmembers out of my pile and used'em.

My shafts are .375 wall High Angle Driveline shafts...I've bashed/smashed them everytime I go out. Not worried about them. :)

13. Desert Rat

Mine drops a lot more than 3/8. The washers that I used temporarily to space down the crossmember are at least an inch or slightly more. I toyed with the idea of cutting down the rubber mount by an inch instead on the rear adapter. Wouldn't putting a spacer on the front crossmember rotate your whole engine/tranny/TC setup up a bit? Got your PM.

14. Zeus33rd

Didn't rotate it up at all. With the rear x-member bolted in, I was just filling in the gap under the adapter on the front x-member with the spacer. My x-members could be different than yours too. Some have higher or lower mounting points than others. If you can find the right combination, that would help alot.