Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soliciting ideas for new web site

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by smartpatrol, Sep 4, 2003.

1. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Hi I just registered a new domain www.myk5.com. At first I was going to make it a site dedicated to my 83’ K5 build however after some deliberation it would equate to a vanity site with no real value. Soooo I decided that it would be cool to create yet another site dedicated to K5/Jimmy fanatics everywhere with a specific goal mind you. Basically I do not really want to reproduce entirely anything that coloradoK5 is doing or other fan sites. What I thought would be a good idea would be to create a single site to showcase your K5/Jimmy rigs kind of a technical database of sorts. For example users would be able to upload pictures of there rigs and list stats such as power plant, suspension, drive train etc.. There could be a section that includes the experience of the owner in regards to their builds coupled with technical information and know how. Another section could include trail ride/adventure pictures unique to the owner. Of course you are saying well there are other sites that do this already, true but do you really want to sort through all those jeep, ricer and bronco pics just to look at that one cool setup that interests you? Not to mention the annoying pop ads every five seconds or the long URLS (that no one can remember) you have to give to your friends just to see pictures of your rig. Some basic rules for the site I thought of:

1. no jeeps!(he he)
    2. Absolutely free to users! I may have some small banner ads but nothing annoying and maybe a link where people that like the service can donate /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Who knows maybe I can generate some big time sponsors!(yeah right)
    3. Simplicity! I will have it designed to be easy to use and easy to view/edit/change but each user page will be a standard format. A typical URL would be something like www.myk5.com/joesK5

So what I am looking for from the community is whether or not this is something that you guys would value. Otherwise I will just turn the URL into a vanity site he he. I value your input

Just a little about myself I make my living in computers as a UNIX system administrator currently working in Kuwait. Being a computer junkie besides a K5 fanatic, I already have the hardware and technical know how to put this together. I also have a friend that is an awesome web developer which I will have to pay but no big deal he’s worth it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I already have a webserver www.shadowsea.com on the internet at a friends house in Littleton colorado that is hosting a few minor sites but really not that busy and depending on the interest I can scale it to meet demand as long as the funds are there (translation as long as I have a job). I should have the time to dedicate to the since there is really not that much to do here on my off time. Timeframe is a minor factor since I will be going home next month and that will be the chance for me to put the computer hardware in place. I can do most of the work/maintenance remotely from Kuwait.

smartpatrol

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

So are you staying at the Crowne Plaza or the Saffir or actually living in a house/apartment?? I was at the Crowne for 3 weeks in March /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. smartpatrol

I am staying in the billets at Camp Arifjan correctional facility. I eat at the crowne from time to time sushi!

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'd definitely go for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

5. smartpatrol

alright well thats a start /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif