Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solid axle pre runner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, May 1, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to make a 4x4 prerunner using a solid axle and be able to get modest travel out of it in the front without going to I-beam or some other custom set up?
    Thanks

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yea, go with 52" long front springs. Take you old rear springs and move them up front. It should give you enough flex to do some prerunner stuff. If that snot enough, I guess you could go longer, or do a buggy leaf setup.

Dan

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

A good set of pliable 4" springs and extended shackles will get some good stuff - a coil/link would be even better. All it takes is a little experimentation - right when I sold it I was getting a little better than 12½" overall on mine, using off the shelf Superlift springs and homemade shackles with a homebrewed shock cage. The next one will be going coils and a 2 link with a panhard (think early Ford).

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Well I can certainly answer your question. My truck sees 8'+ of air on almost a daily basis. 70MPH over the whoops: hah!, cake, like butta! I always told my friends that a straight axle isn't meant for jumping, but it can be done if you build it right. Suspension is very important, but if you can't afford a coil/link setup don't sweat it. A decent leaf spring with dual shock (or single bypass type) works very well. The thing that you really need to concentrate on is your axle tube strength. Box in the top of the tubes and use a standard tension truss underneath, upgrade the studs that the front spindles are mounted on to 1/2'', this will hold up to MAJOR punishment. Keep the rig as light and low as possible and try to move some weight to the rear. But before you start haulin @$$, invest in a full roll cage, the faster you go, the worse the crash. Dare to be different, your straight axle will give I-beams a run for their money!

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Got any pics of those 8' jumps... ?!?

I've been all 4 off in the sand dunes with mine.... but never to the tune of 8'...!!

I agree that a straight axle/leaf setup can be tuned to work well at high speeds. Just gotta work at it a little.

Marv

6. Blazinaire

Surprisingly I don't have any pics yet. I will be shooting some video today so maybe I'll get some pics outta that. Or maybe tori89k5 will snap some pics of me soon (hey just say when and I'm there!) I practically live at the Pismo dunes so if there are any members nearby that wanna play and/or shoot some pics then holler!

7. Blazinaire

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I copied this info off the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.racedezert.com>http://www.racedezert.com</a> web site. Go to the Dezert People section, then "Shop" and look for the "older 4x4 Chevy" thread. This is a race/prerunner forum with lots of good info.

Ft springs- Get Deaver's or Nationals at about 400#/in rate at ride height and a 4" lift at ride height.
    Rear springs- Get Deaver's or nationals at about 350#/in rate at ride height and a 4.5" lift at ride height.
    Front shocks- 3" Kings with their standard valving and bypass- 12" if mounting close to OE location
    Rear shocks- 2.5" Kings w/std valving and bypass
    Set jounce stops to bottom out with 1.5" travel left in shocks to prevent bottoming out the shocks front
    and rear.

Remove front (and rear- if equipped) sway bars if using above spring rates- do NOT remove if less rate in
    either location.

Fabricate left frame mount track (panhard) rod from Dodge BR/3500 and convert steering linkage to
    transverse links drag link with Haltenberger type linkage. for front axle.

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

10. <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

steering linkage to
    transverse links drag link with Haltenberger type linkage. for front axle.

<hr></blockquote>

got any pics of this kind of set up?

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the responses, i now see that i need to do A LOT of work before my truck is going to be capable to do any kind of pre running that involves going fast, but should i uprage from my stock 10 bolts to a dana 60/14bff or can i make my axles work with some moly shafts and trusses. also about the steering, do you have any pictures or anything of that set up or is it similar to cross over? Also what about fiberglass front fenders, i was looking at those but it appears that they dont have an inner fender and i was wondering what to do about that if any one knows
    Thanks

Jason

Jason

12. fender

fender Registered Member

http://64.14.193.106/p92301_image_large.jpg
    http://64.14.193.106/p92304_image_large.jpg

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Jason, check out my site for fiberglass prerunner fenders. I have links to Hanneman and Glassworks Unlimited. I haven't run any inner weels for 3 years now and I have had no problems. Some could be fabbed up out of aluminum if you really wanted them.

14. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

holy schmoly!! thats some crazy stuff!

15. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

shoot, that truck looks pretty trick, a little tricker than i would want to go.
    Michael, what did you do with the stuff that is placed on the inner fenders?

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

A 60/14 FF in the dez is overkill of biblical proportions - tons of weight for no advantage. 10 bolts or D44/12 bolt with well trussed housings and good shafts are more than enough for what prerunning or even Class 3/4 racing has to offer. On the Haltenberger linkage, look no further than a 2wd TTB Ford - there you'll see one in all of it's crowning glory/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Blazinaire

18. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

whos truck is that fender?
    I want to build my truck for pismo.
    Does anybody have any geaometry of a coil setup or fourlink type setup? Anybody have ICQ or MSN?

19. fender

fender Registered Member

the owner's name is Billy McKim.. the truck was in a 4wheel&amp;offroad mag a few years ago..

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/editorial/article.jsp?viewtype=text&amp;id=34278>http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/editorial/article.jsp?viewtype=text&amp;id=34278</a>

20. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

That is one bad truck, i think i remember reading that off of that site a while ago
    but one more question, if i was to run a 14 bolt in the back of my blazer would it help even out the weight of the front so i dont get the bucking bronco effect when goin off jumps?