solid axle swap on Tahoe

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 964doortahoe, Jan 20, 2002.

1. 964doortahoe

964doortahoe Newbie

Jan 19, 2002
    I have reacently purchase a Dana 44 and a 9.5" 14 bolt axles both stuffed with ARBs and 4.56 gears. My plan is to put these underneth my 96 4 door Tahoe, but I have many questions I need answered. Please keep in mind I'm a colege student on a butget and I'm going for performance not height.
    1. What are my steering options? Do i have to run a cross over set up or can this be added at a later dated.
    2. What options do I have for a front sway bar? I'd rather not spend $400 on a ORU set up.
    3. What options do I have for mounting front shocks?
    4. Will a NP 208 bolt up to my TH460LE?
    5. Will I have to remove my ABS?
    6. I plan on running 33s, will I need to do a gear swap?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.
  2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Feb 21, 2001
    1. Go with crossover. It might even be cheeper because you don't have to swap out the steering box.
    2. You could try to bolt on a 73-87 swaybar...all you would have to do is find a way to attach it to the frame
    3. I think they would work in the stock mounts...If not try the Ford towers that are in the tech article off the main ck5 page.
    4. are going to stay with driver side drop right?
    5. Yes
    6. Because you have a o/d trans 4.56 shouldn't be too bad...If you need better gas mileage go to 35's.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=>See it Here </a>
  3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    That pretty much sums it up. Obviously there are many more details about this than you asked or were included in the answers, but you're on the right track with it I think.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    <a target="_blank" href=></a>