Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solid axle swap Question???

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by mudddog91, Aug 1, 2002.

1. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hows the exhaust routing on the trucks with solid axle swaps?Can you use headers or do you need to use factory manifolds???Getting ready to drop engine in and was wondering?

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

you shouldn't have any trouble routing your exhaust. you can use headers, long or short. they should fit pretty much the same as if you still had your stock suspension. the things you need to be concerned about is your crossover pipe, and the exhaust pipe running to the rear of the truck. you'll have to consider where your driveshaft is, but the angle of the shaft should be enough to be out of the way. check out some pics. these are from a a guy on the ORC board(forgot his name /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif ), with an SFA swap. not the best pics of the exhaust, but it'll give you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey I really appreciate the help,I mean really!The pics helped out alot.......and im sure many others can use them also but again thanks.........

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

glad you could use em. i'm planning an SFA swap as well, but i won't get to it for a little while. i was planning on using a ford axle for the dside drop, but they cost a little much $$ /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif i figured the thing to do would just find a chevy axle with a pside drop, and replace the tcase with a pside output, from a '91-ish blazer or 'burban. i'm still debating though.

for now i'm installing a 6" ifs lift...which goes on next week....can you say CV joints?? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i'd like to regear, but $$ forces me to wait on that /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have been saying that "next week" thing for what? 6 months now shorts? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Anyway, on my truck I'm really worried that headers will not fit, full length I mean. The rear shackle brackets stick way out and I had to cut all my exhaust out to get the pass. side one in. Shorty headers would fit but you will have to custom make a crossover pipe and relocate the cat.

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

haha...yeah. it was suppose to ber spring break...but, uh, postponed...then suppose to be my couple weeks off in between spring/summer semesters.....now, its scheduled for this week, which is my vacation between summer/fall semester....ahh, we'll find out in a few days /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Yep thats what im worried about too......My rear shackle brackets stick in pretty far but who knows....I will be swapping the engine in this weekend so we will find out!

8. willyswanter

So you have your swap done? If so let me know what happens, I'm looking at getting headers as well.

9. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Nope solid axle swap isnt done yet.......The front suspension is done but I need to drop the engine in before i set it on the dana 60 cause i dont believe i can squeeze the engine in after.My garage is stuffed and with the truck sitting up about 8" higher it would be tough so as soon as the motor is in I will put the 60 in and start on the rear............Then comes the fun part of hooking up the trans,transfer case and driveshafts(which arent made yet)
    PLus baby is due anytime now and havent been able to work on it......Hopefully by October itll be done.................Plus im getting an 86 k5 and need to do some work on it to drive it daily........

10. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey i got my engine(383) installed this weekend and guess what?The full length headers do not fit!!!!!!!They are about 1" too far to the outside and will hit the shackle brakets and they hit frame so they wont bolt up to the block right..........the search is on!!!!!!!!!!!

11. willyswanter

Hmm, yeah I figured as much. I'm going to get some shorty headers that bolt to the stock y-pipe flanges. This weekend I'm buidling my own y-pipe to clear everything so I can get the cats hooked back up and get the thing started for the first time in a month. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif