Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solid front axle swap. Get detailed!!!

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by TruckNutzDude, Sep 10, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I would just like to know what kinds of things to look out for when doing a solid axle conversion. I know the basics... cut the old stuff out, make mounts for springs/heim joints/coils, hook up brakes. Are there any things I should consider as far as steering, brakes and alignment are conserned? The truck I'm planning this for has ABS brakes with a tone ring in the wheels, what do I do about this system when I cut out the IFS? My rig also has a drivers side drop t-case, but the axle is a passanger side drop. What about driveshafts? What should I make to mount the springs to the frame? Basicly I want to know everything and see as many pictures as possible. I know you guys can help /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd have a look at the front spring mount All Pro makes for the yota SAS kits since that's what I think you still plan to use. You're a natural for x-over steering which means you need something like AP's high steer kit or one of the various x-over right side yota steering arms. I went the welded route on mine, though I've yet to use it.
    The breakage point on the p'up Birf's looks to be at the point of having 33-12.50's or bigger, front locker, and low gearing or SBC sized HP.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I still say don't do it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif yota springs and the SAS without a new swaybar you are gonna body roll like crazy I bet.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I noticed the 'yota axle had king pins on it and it both the tie rod and the steering arm are part of the caps... This looks like an easy setup to adapt a hi-steer system and x-over to! I might not do it to my DD though but another s-10 Blazer that I'll be getting for free soon. Keep the ideas coming and tell me more about these All pro mounts? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I was just going to make my own stuff but if there is an easier way to wheel I'm all for it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I run some ~3" no name springs in my '84 yoter and I don't need a sway bar. Granted the GM engine will weigh more, but offsetting that is that I come from road racing so I tend to push that truck pretty hard in corners. All the stock sway bar did was increase the understeer w/o noticably affecting the body roll.

All Pro Offroad is the home of "Tiny" the air cooled rock crawler. They didn't build it, but the owner of All Pro owns and drives it.