Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solid front axle swaparino question... Help me ditch the IFS please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Aug 29, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I wheeled the crap out of my daily driver yesterday and realized my stock ZR2 Blazer is quite capable. Unfortunately GM decided to put a balancer on the rear pinion yoke and that ended up being my first broken part. (even before making my first payment /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) Anyways, I'm really thinking of taking the torch to the IFS front end and swapping in some full size solid axles under my S-series. I figure the parts are cheaper for a solid axle, there are less moving parts to break and less things to wear out. I know I'll void any warranty, but honestly, the warranty I have on my used 60,000 mile truck isn't that great to begin with. My plan is to swap out the electric t-case also since it doesn't work when I need it to. I'm thinking a 208 case and some 10 bolt axles from a full size truck/blazer would work just fine with 33's to 35's and a small lift. How hard would all of this be? Is it worth it? I'm looking around on a few ZR2 sites but I'd like your opinions also since I get most of my ideas from here. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. TruckNutzDude

Actually, now that I think about it... Is the COG forum a better place for this post? If so, can somebody move it for me? I'd hate to have a good post lost in the depths of the Garage in less than a week if it turns up any usefull information for others plauged with IFS'itis /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Go Full width! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Go Full width! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on it. I'm thinking either some 1-ton GM axles if I can find them, a D44/9-inch from a bronco/f-150 or cherokee axles. The ZR2 has good fender flares and is 4" wider than a regular s-10. I measured my 14bolt and the rear s-10 axle (both on stock tires) and came out with a 4" total difference in width meaning I'll be "legal" with stock steel 1-ton wheels. That should be good enough for inspection, or I could just add some fender flares to the fender flares /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif.