Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solid front axle vs. IFS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rotorjockey, Jan 7, 2006.

1. rotorjockey

rotorjockey Registered Member

Other than cost, which Im sure it will be expensive, please share pros and cons of converting an IFS to solid axle if you have done this.

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can do a SAS cheaper than an IFS lift, but depends on what axle you use. If you go with a Dana 44, or happen to find a 60 cheap, all the other stuff can be found in a junkyard. The most expensive thing on my truck is the ORU kit. If you know how to weld you can make your own set. I found a set of 4" springs in a j/y, got the pitman arm off a 1/2 Ford, GM 3 peice tierod shortened for a draglink, and $60 for steel braided lines and fittings. Had to buy the crossover arm, which is something that you have to do on these trucks. You could mount the box on the outside of the frame, that is a PITA. I'm going to do another SAS in my 97, gonna make my own brackets, and right now I have about $500-600 into it. That included buying a HP60 too. I never owned a lifted IFS, so I can't compare. But I know some of the places that I've been with my truck, and IFS wouldn't have survived. From all the readings about lifted IFS's, the stuff wears out, and have to rebuild it every other year. And that's street driving, not taking it offroad. Go SAS, get the peices a couple at a time, then go for it. You won't be dissapointed. You will get props for a SAS over IFS lift, too!! Forget to mention, if you want to go bigger, just get a set of springs, just like the older style. It flexs 10 times better, ride isn't that much different, (still tweaking mine), the front end doesn't wear out, can unlock the hubs, less wear and maybe a little better MPG. Looks better than all those brackets and crap. And anybody can put an IFS lift together.
    [​IMG]

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

look under the new sheetmetal section of the forum. all you need is misc stock mounts, a solid axle and a set of 52" springs. 4" lift and for about 100 (not including axle)

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'll agree with you, except for this part. A lifted IFS will ride/handle a lot better on the street than a solid axle truck.

5. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I say skip the sas, keep that truck stock for a dialy driver and go find a beat up solid axle chevy. That way you can wheel the piss out of it and not be worried about driving it to work on Monday!

6. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i agree i dont like ifs
    you dont gain any ground clearance with a lift, but you also have stuff that is not as strong. i say dont bother and find a solid axle fullsize and wheel it instead of doing a conversion

LUKE

7. timmay

timmay Registered Member

How does an IFS lift not gain any clearance? You gain the same clearance with an IFS lift that you would with a solid axle lift of the same inches.

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the tires are what creates the ground clearance.

you lift it to put bigger tires on it.

unless you are just cranking up the torsion bars and increasing the angle of the lower control arms, you are gaining no lift. *edit* should read "clearance"

a six inch ifs kit and a six inch solid axle kit gets you the same amount of gain in clearance. which is zero.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

actually you gain breakover angle and approach and departure angle with a lift. So clearance is gained. but less is gained with an IFS lift because of the torsion bar drop brackets that hang below the frame.