Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solid hubs an a D44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1bigk10, Jan 3, 2002.

1. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Can i get solid hubs for my D44 and what are your opinns on doing this if its possible.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You might be able to find some in a junkyard. They were standard on front axles with full-time 4WD (Except some years of Dodge trucks, which used unique drive hubs). My 44 came from a '74 full-time 4WD truck with the external type hubs. I kept the drive flanges after installing Warn hubs, to carry as spares, just in case I manage to waste a locking hub. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I thought those were automatic hubs

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

4. HarryH3

Nope, the full time 4WD's were always sending power to all 4 wheels. Instead of locking hubs, GM and Ford just locked the hubs permanently to the axle shafts. The inner-hub style axles used splined slugs where the guts of a locking hub would go, covered with a chrome trip cap. The outer-hub style axles had a splined flange that slipped over the axle shaft and bolted to the wheel hub.

When you convert one of the old full-time rigs to part-time, you replace the above mentioned parts with locking hubs and then modify the internals of the transfer case to make it behave like a part-time 4WD case.

Automatic locking hubs came out several years later. They lock when you shift into 4WD and the axle shaft tries to apply power to the wheel. And contrary to popular opinion, they do not unlock when you reverse in 4WD. Unless they're broken, they will apply power to the wheel in forward and reverse. This myth probably got started because to unlock the GM auto hubs, you shift into 2WD and then back up about 10 feet. When the hubs senses that it's not getting power from the axle any longer, it disengages. This lets you shift in and out of 4WD while going down the road. Once engaged, the hubs stay locked until you do the 2WD in reverse trick so you can easily shift on the fly. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have some solid hubs and the dust covers in my garage. Need them? $25 gets them shipped to your door.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. horsepit

horsepit Registered Member

So why is the auto locking hub so unpopular? Is it weaker?

Insearch of a Blazer.

7. HarryH3

The auto-lockers don't get along well with big tires and/or big power. They also tend to fail without warning, and usually at a time when you most need them. [​IMG]