Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solid motor mounts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Nov 23, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Are there any benefits or drawbacks of running some solid mounts? and put some solid ones on my tranny too? a friend of mine has some small block chevy mounts that i could get from him but im not sure for off road use if they would be a smart choice? i know people run the poly ones and they dont flex much at all but what about solid?

2. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

I thought it would be an advantage because you wouldn't have to change your motor mounts but you will feel alot more vibration through the frame... same goes for the tranny mounts... i've found the best of both worlds is the motor mounts that use polyeurethane. It won't wear out nearly as quick as rubber but will still obsourb vibrations.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

IMO without some give in the mounts, you will break more stuff. I suggest going with poly or other heavy duty mounts. The vibrations from solid mounts drive me crazy, plus they make all the rattles in the truck much worse.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the energy suspension ones work good and still give a bit. but nothing like stock junk. all solid will break stuff fast. the frames flex way to much for use to be running solids.

6. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I had solid motor mounts on my Datsun with the 350, and after less than a dozen runs, the engine developed a crack in the block, next to the motor mount.
    Eddie

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

If you do go solid, make sure it is all solid, tranny, tcase everything. Otherwise you will break the bellhouse or tcase adaptor really fast