Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solidworks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tx_sub, Apr 17, 2005.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

can anyone give me a ballpark price for getting a licensed version of solidworks? i checked their website and requested a quote, so in the mean time, anyone know? i'm about to graduate from the university and am thinking of starting a business doing consulting and utilizing solidworks since i've been using it at school. hence the need for a fully legal licensed version. thanks in advance.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Through our dealer that we use at work, a seat of SolidWorks is about $4000. If you opt for the yearly sevice agreement (which I recommend) that is another $1300. That agreement will get you all of the patches as well as the new releases when they come out. :D

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Pray for me. Work is switching to Pro-E. Not Wildfire, but 2001. What a giant step backwards.

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

bummer, its twice as much as i expected. if you already have one seat as you call it and want another license to run on another computer, is it the same price, or just a fraction of the initial price? do you get a discount at your dealer or is it just the distributor that your company does business with? thank's for the reply.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The initial seat price for every seat of SW is $4k. So in other words, $4k for every license. There is no harware device to keep you from installing on more than one machine though, it is just against the terms of the license agreement. :D

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

You poor soul! :(

Good thing I am in charge of our design department. We'll be using Solidworks for a LONG time. ;)

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I started in SW at 2k. Been working in it ever since.

It's our Chief Design Engineer who is holding us back. He doesn't want to learn WF, which is at least similar to SW. I've decided to learn WF and not mess with 2001. If they don't like it, well I was looking for a job when I found this one.

FWIW, what we've been told about SW is that you can have it installed on more than one machine as long as the useage of that seat doesn't exceed 24 hrs in a 24 hour period.