Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solo Wheelin' ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by loafer, Jun 23, 2006.

1. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

How many of you go out alone? Either single truck wheelin' with passengers or just completely solo. I would say about 90% of my wheelin' is single truck and of that about 70% is completely solo.

I've been doing this all my life and never thought anything of it until I starter reading stuff on the web about how much of a no-no it is. I agree that you shouldn't be doing real hard-core stuff alone, but I see no problem with trail riding solo.

I know there must be other people going out alone:dunno:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I do (rare) I make sure that people know where I'm going, and when to expect me back. And I stick with the schedule unless I call and extend.

3. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Never hit the whooley swamp alone!!!!!!!!:haha:

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I wheel solo a lot. Not extreme stuff but just to be out in the woods away from people for the weekend. I used to frequently wheel/camp solo as none of my friends enjoyed the sport as much as I did. Flopped my CJ-7 once while alone. That was a fun recovery with a come-a-long.

5. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Most of my wheelin is with just my blazer and passengers but sometimes i do like to escape to the trails for some fun by my self

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I go solo all the time. Nobody really has a 4wd anymore, and if they do, it's stock, and tho mine isn't a hard core wheeler, they still can't go places that I can go. Last time I went, all was good, slung some mud, hotter than hell, but was good trip. Last time I got stuck, was solo, and no way getting out by myself. Come-a-long didn't do crap, so now I pick my lines a little better. Havta get some pics next time I go....

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

For years I used to only use a hi-lift jack to get myself out. After one solo trip of leaving my truck in the woods overnight and then spend 6hrs the next day pulling it out with the hi-lift I decided a winch was a worth-while investement:D

8. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Trail riding solo clears the mind.:screwy: :D Unless like me years ago hit 2ac mud hole. Stuck it "Kinda lost front d-shaft most of it was missing" and only had come-a-long to get out.:haha: After 7 hours and hooking to 4 trees got me out.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I used to do it all the time as a teenager back in the 80's, with my first truck. In recent years it has happened a time or two. The last time, I got got stuck like a chuck, and had to walk a ways to a phone, and have my father in law come pull me out. The worst part was it was around midnight. :o Sometimes you just get the itch, and it has to be scratched. :thumb:

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Never go alone....

Go w/ people you don't like if you have to.... but don't go alone.:shame:

Marv

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nope I have freinds :D (jk not directed at anyone) I don't go alone anymore but I used to alot. My rig is to far from stock when I get stuck it is hard so I need other rigs

12. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Im horrable I wheel alone just me and my truck sometimes the dog too and I never tell anyone either, not because I don't want to but because sometimes when I'm drivin I just end up on some dirt road toolin around with half to less a tank of gas. When I finally realize where I am or what I am doing Its to late to call or I am out of range... sometimes. It is always fun and God has thus far always brought me home.
    I used to wheel in my 77 maverick the same way so I have been doing that way for years. Now when ever I know I am going I too try and tell someone. C-ya and keep on keepin on.

13. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I get out on my own sometimes. Not so sure it's such a good idea but just taking it easy ain't so bad.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I do alot, of course it is just mudding or drift bashing out at our farm. At most Im 1/2 mile away from a Tractor more then cappable of pulling me out. We took 4 trucks out this winter in some wicked snow. Buried one bigger then sh*t. Woulda been nice if it was my Blazer but no it was a big ole Chevy. We couldnt budge it with the other two pickups and my Blazer couldnt even make it where he was at to help.

So we had to call up the 6.0 Stroker with the Banks 6 gun on it for extraction...one yank and he was out

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Thankfully we like Marv:D but in the environ we live in (i.e. the Desert) you never, ever, ever head out alone. Our wheelin places are more than just a bit of a drive. Welcome to suburbia. So alone is a way, way, way, way bad idea.

16. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If I do go out alone, I go to a place where a lot of other wheelers will be there too. They will usually help you out if something happens. I know I have helped other people out on the trails countless times.

17. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

:doah:

x2

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Man who go out alone , even with dana 60 and 14bff , may need to hike and find an unassuming truck to assist .

Do not wheel alone . Someone may not be there to help .

[​IMG]

19. TDTK5

TDTK5 Registered Member

Back home id go "trail riding" all the time by myself. just let the folks know where i was heading. now that im in miss i dont go without at least i other truck. i have a bad habit of finding the bottom less mud pits.

20. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

For me the limiting factor on what I will get into on my own has more to do with getting hurt or not being able/prepared to walk out. As mentioned above wheeling alone clears the mind. I don't go looking for the big mud holes or the steepest climbs but if I find them I'll mark them on the map and come back another time with a friend to try the gnarly parts of trails.