Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solo Wheeling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, Dec 18, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for tips and ideas on how to build my truck for solo wheeling on local trails. Right now I'm stock height on 33" inch ATs. Whats a good setup and what type of equipment should I have for solo trail runs. I know a winch, spare parts, etc.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Cell phone and a CB. Might save a long walk. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Bring a mountain bike so that way you can ride home if your truck breaks down or gets stuck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Tent, Food, water hunting gear. That way when your stuck for a long time you won't starve or freeze to death /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    1,000 feet of line and 2-3 of those spades you stick into the sand for a winch point and of course a really good winch.

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

That's my 1st rule of 4-wheeling...

1) Never go alone!
    ....seriously

Marv

6. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

ohh now your talkin!
    I like a good trip into the unkown--going solo. Yep, sound like everyone is giving good advice.
    Be sure to consider the environment. Exposure will kill you long before anything else (if you are unfortunate enough to get broke down with no solutions but to walk or wait it out). Heat and cold are killers. Getting wet will just speed up your death so in the cold rainy season throw an extra set of clothes.
    As for the rig I like to take some basic extras and a tool kit.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm with Marv...I never 4 wheel alone!! To easy to get dead...plus nobody to confirm your off road prowess later or take pic's/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

McGiver....and that crazy a$$ post that keeps coming up about reliability. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You dont need those Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

just messin' with ya' z3

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I'm goin to keep following this.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hey, what about that 383-HT crate motor?

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

i remember the days where you are at now, i tried that twice, but, like i tried to tell them, if i liked the 4x4's before we got married, i am prolly gonna like them after, oh well, they have now decided i wasn't so bad after all

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. fourwheelerjeff

13. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I go out alone all the time. Its not uncommon for me to get 100 miles from the nearst paved road. No cell service where I go so they are usless. no one around to pick up CB either. I once did a trip across the whole north end of Nevada From Montlleo to Reno. Thats about 400 miles off road
    I have 33" on 10 bolts locked with 2" lift. I have had no problems with this set up
    I bring food, tools, survival gear, 2 spare tires, jacks, chains, spare fluids,Spare ign module, belt, u joint, ect its the small stuff that usually breaks and leaves you stranded.. Keep my truck in top condition with new parts and throughly go thru it from front to back before I go out.
    Basicly when I'm out alone I take it easy on my rig. You can usually find a way around rough stuff rather than thru it.
    If you are out alone just use a little common sense. The whole idea is to make it back without problems. Not prove how fast you can break something.

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

See above post, add winch, Pull Pal and tire repair stuff. I really like the part about engaging the brain. You drive different when you're getting from point A to point B rather than testing you and your 4x4's limits.
    The mountain bike idea is pretty good if you're into that. I've carried a bike with me on a couple trips just to avoid being really standed.
    I also like knowing that the rear is going to get me home no matter what, so I like full floating axles for the rear. That usually means a 3/4T swap in a GM.
    Consider tire chains. They make pretty good "instant" mud tires where before you had AT's. That's not really a "solo" tip only, but it's nice to have all the advantages when you're alone.

16. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the tips. As far as what solo wheeling I'll be doing, nothing major, just cruising some local trails and doing some exploring. A mountain bike is a really good idea.

17. FWP

FWP CRS

Interesting you posted this today. Got a call earlier this evening, a fellow club member decided to go wheelin by himself, around 8500 ft elevation, light snow last night, and more coming this afternoon. No chains, no winch and mud tires= great combo for snow...hehe (I'm sure you don't get a whole lot of snow in FLA/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Anyway, the point is, be prepared for anything, if you must go out by yourself.....If you're smart about it, you may live.

BTW, the guy we went to rescue learned his lesson, and luckily had cell phone contact, otherwise he might not have gotten help, and could of possibly lost his life to hypothermia.

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Make sure you get my cell # if your gonna go off on your own. Not many places you can go locally that I, and or some friends cant find you in a matter of hrs.

Besides if you "get stuck" Ill have to go get ya. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

one thing i do is tell my mom and dad and my friends where and what im going 4 wheeling, and tell them if im not home by such and such a time, to go look for me, it never hurts to tell someone what your doing, so they dont think your not around just because you skipped town. one other thing you should do is bring a Passenger who enjoys this, sometimes 2 brains are better then 1, i know this from experience, and its useually more fun when two people are in the cab together. good luck and dong get stuck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. fourwheelerjeff

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    dong get stuck

[/ QUOTE ]

i sure hope not /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif