Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solution for drive line angle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grizzlyoffroad, Apr 13, 2006.

1. grizzlyoffroad

grizzlyoffroad 1/2 ton status

OK guys, what are your thoughts on solving the high front drive shaft angle problem. I am putting a 10" suspension lift on my blazer and wondering what the best solution to the drive line angle problem is....Should I lower the transfer case, reclock the transfer case, cut and rotate the front diff...or combo of some/all? Also, what new drive line do you suggest? Thanks

2. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing you have an NP205. I'm not sure if you can clock the older ones with the figure 8 mounting pattern. Lowering the transfer case will help the rear shaft angle and hurt the front. I wouldn't do it. Look at using a 1350 CV on the front and rear. You'll also need to cut off your rear spring perches rotate and weld on new ones. You will need to cut and rotate the front differential to get the driveshaft lined up and set the caster right.

3. grizzlyoffroad

How can lowering the t-case hurt the front drive shaft angle? If it is getting one closer to the stock angle, then it must be getting the other???? right? And yes, I have the 205.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First you have to grind the yokes on the CV to get that kind of angle out of them. Second you have to cut and turn your knuckles, the same time you are doing this you either have to run shims in the front to get the pinion in line with the driveshaft or cut off the perch and reweld it and then take the axle to a machine shop and have the cast in perch put at the same angle and redrill the holes. Problem solved. I know its alot of work its what I am having to go through too. You can run the shims in the front until you get the money to have a machine shop do it the other way. I am running about 10" of lift and the only problem I have with my front shaft is the slip yoke is too short. I ran it this way with a full time 203 so the driveshaft didn't vibrate very much

5. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

You're not just lowerin the t-case you're tipping it. This increases the front shaft angle. If you lowered the engine mounts at the same time you wouldn't get any tipping.

6. grizzlyoffroad

Ohhhhh:wink1: , I'm picken up what you're laying down....thanks for the clarification.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I would say the best way would be to get a high-pinion front axle. After that, T-case clocking is a good approach. Less suspension lift is a good choice if you can do it (you could always use a body lift as well).

After that if you're talking about dealing with the angles, a high $$ driveshaft may be the only choice.

8. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a severe angle that I had to correct with a 2-piece carrier bearing drive line...................But a high pinion axle would solve your definetly solve your problem.

9. grizzlyoffroad

TTT....any other ideas or comments???

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

for the front????

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hi pinion axle... add a doubler (or divorced 205 if you wanna be cheap!)... move your front axle forward. Less lift would help a lot...

j

12. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes ... I beat the piss out of it in Moab and it works great.

100_1422 700X527.jpg