Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Solution for my Floor pans

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Jul 10, 2000.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Well I found my floor pans from the Salvage yard. They were going to cut them out for $150. Turns out due to someone's laziness, they didn't want to cut the Blazer up and just gave me the 1983 Blazer Tub for $160 bucks. All I had to do was bring a 6x12 trailer and they loaded it up for me.
    Not one spec of rust on this truck, I pulled out the carpets and mats, 'NO RUST" anywhere.. what a find.. I'll try to get some pics posted shortly.. I still can't believe they gave me the whole tub...

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

WHAT A DEAL!!! Heck it's going to be much less work to swap parts than sheetmetal!!! Stip it down as much as you can and one Saturday invite the buds over for Pizza and beer and swap the body. Heck leave it on the trailer clean it up and have it rhino lined before you pull your other truck down.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I plan on doing the "do it yourself" liner kit from Herculiner. My g/f and I already prepped the tub and purchased the Herculiner kit from Pep Boys.. now it's playtime.
    Thanks for writing back..
    How many people do you think it will take to lift off the old body and put on the new body? lol

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

man....wish I had that much luck going to scrap yards. I consider myself lucky if they wrench off the right part for me!!!! rock on rocko!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You can always do it the free way (unless you get a ticket). Go get a big speed limit sign off the highway and weld it on. All you need is a welder and a 1/2" socket wrench.

90K5

6. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

You guys keep talking about all these scrap yards pulling parts for ya. Around here, all the scrap yards are U-PULL IT! lol

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you pull the doors and shell and most of what bolts in like seats ect 6 guys should be able to handle it fairly easy. Now if you have some sturdy long 6x6's you could lift one end slide the 6x6 under the body and put it on something and roll the frame 0r trailer out from under it the roll the frame under the good body and lower it back down. Doing it that way a couple of guys and a couple of jacks could do it. How many buds owe you a favor?

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hey I have been through this and have a big tip. The EASIEST way to accomplish this is this. to get the old body off I just used a 95 Dodge 2500 4x4 cummins turbo diesle.. that was really fun.. LOL but to get the new body on I parked the truck frame right in front of teh body shell. I then put two tow straps under teh body and hooked them to a cherry picker (one on each side). Then you raise the cherry pickers and it lifts the tub up. You can just then pull the frame under it and set her down nice and easy. This way you can do it slowly without people griping its heavy. I have attached a pic of when the body was being done.

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

9. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

After I rolled my '85 I bought an '83 tub to fix it. It took 6 guys to lift the tub but we had a good time. I have a photo here somewhere....

SteveB