Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sombody with 14ff disk and caddie calipers help me!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Sep 19, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i cannot get the loaded calipers over the rotor. i dont know if i got the wrong rotors or pads or what. but they are not gona fit. i tried compressing the piston with a C clamp but i think its all the way open already. im running: caddie calipers, caddie pads, 96 3/4 chevy front rototrs.

2. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The problem is the rotors, you should have front rotors from a 71-78 3/4 ton....napa part number 85677 IIRC.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Tape, measure the width of your rotor and post it up. Also, if you get the caddy calipers from anything but a 76-78 el dorado then they wont fit either.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you probably got the seville calipers pistons
    [​IMG]

seville
    [​IMG]

el dorado
    [​IMG]

see my pics

ARQ.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yer right the older ones are too thick 73's work fine

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you are aware of this, but the El Dorado Calipers do not operate like most typical disk brake systems. In addition to the hydraulic pressure of the brake fluid that maintains brake pad contact with the rotor, there is also spring mechanism behind/inside the piston. Unfortunately, this means you can not fully open the calipers by pressing them with a c-clamp as we are all accustomed to doing. So there is a possibility you do not have your calipers open fully and thus they won't slide over your rotors.

Look on your caliper piston, there should be two samll notches ~180* apart from one another. These notches are their to accept a specialty tool that adjust your calipers. I have some detailed directions on how to adjust the calipers with a PN listed for the specialty tool, but unfortunately they are at home. If you don't find what you need by this weekend, send me a PM and I'll scan it into my computer and send them to you. In the meantime, I'd try searching out some caddy web-sites for this information.

Something else to note, once you put these calipers on you must set the parking brake everytime you park your truck. This allows the spring mechanism to adjust the caliper to maintain proper contact with the rotor as the brake pads are worn dowm.

Good luck,

Lance

7. ducttape114

the rotor is between 1" or 1 and 1/32". hard to tell with a tape measuse. i do have el dorado calipers. i bought them from a person on this board and he said they were 76-78. how thick are your guys pads? these ones look to be about 3/8 to 1/2. if they were a little thiner i bet i could fit them.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Tape, your rotors should be no more than 1 3/8" thick. I've used pads by several different makers and not had any problems with them fitting but have hear of several other people running into what you are... all of them turned out to have 76-78 Seville calipers as Arq has pointed out. If you pull the bolt off the e-brake lever, you can bring the piston back in all the way by spinning the ebrake bolt. While I don't recall having to do it myself when I last did mine, something somewhere said to be carefull no to engage the e-brake with it off the rotor or it will force the piston out of the caliper.

9. ducttape114

ok i will try that.

BTW, my rotors are 1 1/4" or 1 5/16". i guess i forgot how to use a tape measure. i need to go back to sleep.

thanks everybody

10. ducttape114

cool, got them both on there. the passenger side still feels pretty tight though, so i guess im gonna have to do that over again. oh well, thanks everybody!!!!

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sweet~ sounds like you've got your nose to the grindstone getting ready for the first of the month!