Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some 1st gen questions --CA residents and others also

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jakeslim, Jul 2, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, I will be digging into the 69 k5 this long holiday weekend.

- Is smog test required to register a 1969 truck in CA?
    I know its smog exempt, but what about at registration?

- What did 69 k5's come with (smog equipment)

- Does anyone know how many 69 K5 CST's where mfr'd?
    I know that only 4,990 or so <font color="red"> </font> k5's that year.

- I have a 69 CST, original 4 speed, w/350 option, almost no rust-just surface stuff. Value? I've searched the classic sites and see PLENTY of 71's and 72's in near original state(un restored), but not any 69's?

- The transfer case is not a 205 since that only came with the automatics only(i believe). What kind is it and how reliable are they. Its a smaller unit than a 205.

- I currently have NO POWER going to the dash, with key in ignition. I've checked fuses and all is good. My thoughts are that it is the starter junction from battery(have not dug in yet), any other ideas from the 1st get guys?

LOTS of questions as I dive into "this" world.

thanks,
    Paul

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

About the only thing I can answer is that your transfer case is likely a Dana 20.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't know for sure what a 69 came with for smog but my 72 had AIR tube injected ramhorn style manfolds,heat riser,air cleaner and some kinda doohicky for the top of the tranny but I don't think many smog folks look for that or test it cuz mine was never hooked up and at the time I did have to get smog tests it allways passed so???
    You need to talk to Arq, he just did all the research on this topic.
    I know for new registration you do need a smog, I don't know if smog exempt rigs/cars need it or not upon re-regestering them.....
    Yup Dana20 Xfer
    How many 69s? Not a whole bunch
    In 69 they had a recal on the K5, the drivers side front spring eye bolt was breaking/shearing. Years ago someone posted up the recal letter, I don't have a copy of it.
    If you haven't crused this site for info you should:
    http://brochures.slosh.com/
    Hope this helps...

4. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

No smog requirements on the 69. If the prior owner had a proper non-op or registration is current there is nothing you will need. Go get the title transfered to your name, and keep it in a non op status, I'll pm why. According to SB42, as of January 1, 2003 any vehicle 30 years or older is exempt from a biannual or smog inspection at transfer or sell.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

here is what Cali required for 1969 year

PCV - every car has one of these, it's good for the engine
    ACL - Air Cleaner with Thermostatic Air Control(heat tube)
    AIS - smog pump only with Manual Trany(cali only)
    CCS - Controlled Combustion System (havn't really found out what this is)

Federal(out of cali) I belive did not require the smog pump. You'll have to find out if your vehicle was from cali orignially or from out of state. If you still have your list of options taped to your glove box you'll know. One or two of the items reads California ....

as for registration, it depends on the county you live in. I was not asked for anything when i registerd my vehicle.

anymore questions feel free to ask, gotta remember though I'm not an expert. You may want to go to a local smog station or two. you'll probably get different answers at each.

1970&amp;1971 were the only years I don't see any mention of a smog pump requiment from cali. interesting /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Also, the "inspectors" are usually out on weekdays during daylight hours. Don't take my word for it, though. They may change their schedule.

ARQ.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

FYI~
    Here is a pic I found of what GM did after the 69 modle.
    See the very front of the spring pack, it has a strip of steel going accross the front of the eye mount. I would guess this is suppose to 'catch' the spring pack incase the eye bolt brakes.
    [​IMG]

7. bigmike72

bigmike72 Registered Member

To be clear about the subject. You do not have to have a smog inspection to register a car that is 30 years or older in Cal. From the CA BAR site (http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Smogcheck/doineed.htm) :

"Some vehicles are exempt from the Smog Check program

All 30 and older model-year vehicles are exempt from all aspects of the Smog Check program, but owners of these vehicles are required by law to keep their emissions systems intact. Vehicles built in 1975 for the 1976 model-year are 1976 vehicles and must be tested accordingly. "

The way you get in trouble is if you get pulled over and allow someone to inspect your engine.