Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some 383 questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Aug 19, 2004.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I was loading up a bunch of stuff for scrap and was looking at the 350 with 2 spun main bearings. I was gonna ditch it.
    But I rememberd something about a 400 crank has .200" bigger mains. And to build a 383 the mains will have to be align honed .200" over anyway. Correct?
    I haven't done alot of reasearch into building a 383 and I'm just checking to see if tossing a block with spun bearings is a bit hasty.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

383 crankshafts are the same main bearing size as a 350. To make a 383 you don't enlarge the 350 mains you turn down the 400 mains.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Thanx.
    I was just lookin at the specs on 350 and 400 cranks. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Off to the scrap yard it goes.

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

DOAH!!! I hate to hear that..

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanx.
    I was just lookin at the specs on 350 and 400 cranks. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Off to the scrap yard it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it needs line bored? Scrap?????

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Ok I'll just stack it next to the other 350 4 bolt mains I have. That don't need align bored.
    I just tossed a set of HD 882's out with the lil intake valves too. I suppose I oughta stack em with the other ones with 1.94's.
    Cleanin house dude.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was gonna say I would toss it but I have 4 bolt blocks lined up, your garage sounds exactly the same.

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It's gettin bigger though, /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    But the empty space is gonna get taken up again with just other stuff LOL
    The 2 year rule went into effect, if it aint been used or no one else has a use for it....
    Alternators, water pumps and such are indefinate items.
    One BBC on hand is nice and so are 4 bolt main 350s.
    But a 350 with spun bearings is not worth fixing. Even as rare as a 4 bolt main 350 is. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

$15 for 880 lbs of stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Just enough for an 18 pack. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hmmm I might get another $15 for the cab,(no rot no dents), bed and frame.
    Unless someone needs a good cab by Tuesday, then it's going to make Hondas.
    The ol lady said the 2 year rule doesn't apply to them. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Actualy they are in my buddies back yard so his ol lady takes precedence on the naggin. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    So if the thought of a good cab gettin crushed is abhorant to ya I'll send ya the addy and ya can come get it.
    Otherwise...

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wish I was closer,I would take all the(rust)free cabs I can get,they are like gold around here,frames too--my friends 1994 C1500 already has severe frame rot,probably wont make the winter,I thought my 30 year old frame was rusty! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.
    Scrap here is currently up to 65 bucks a ton for cars,delivered,--but they give much less for anything less,light iron is almost worthless,lucky if they even let you leave it there,I know all about busting your butt loading junk and only getting enough dough to pay for the gas and a cup of cofee,not even enough for a big mack!.
    Your 350 block is a toss up--not many want 2 bolt mains,but I have yet to blow one up on the street,it would be kinda costly to have it line bored,but after seeing how few chevy motors there are around here lately,seems everything is worth something.We used to sell bare blocks we'd buy at the scrapyard for 25 bucks to a place in new jersey that rebuilt them for 100 bucks each,cranks brought 25 bucks unless forged steel,they paid 40 for them,we did this to finance trips to north carolina to look for rust free trucks,good way to clean out the shop and make some gas and food money--dont know if that place still exists or not,havent gone for about 5 years--I should though,I'm overdue for a rust free 4x4!.
    I thought theyhad special "thick" bearings to put a 350 crank in a 400 sb,but maybe that makes a 377 inch motor,not a 383?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif