Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some blown 208 carnage pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 30, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im curious, how exactly did that happen??
    -Harrison

3. mountainexplorer

A friend of mine was just driving on the street. Pulled out of a parking lot normally when he felt something binding. Slowed down to pull over going about 5mph and it exploded.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If he needs a new case I have front and back halfs.

5. mountainexplorer

The "mountain explorers circle of parts friends" got him hooked up already. :grin: But thanks for the offer. :cool1:

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing hapen to one of mine. As far as i could figure by looking at the trail of parts, it looked as if it slipped into low range and blew the planetaries to fawc which took the rest of the case and ring gear(on planetary gearset) etc with it. And I just noticed his ring gear is blown apart too, Same thing. Must be as the shift forks get sloppy with age, mine were quite worn.

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yep, I've blown 2 to pieces that looked just like that. Both while wheelin though.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yipe!!

I hope my NP208 doesn't do that!!--The one in my 82 K20 wont come out of 4HI,when I put it in 2HI it still sends power to the front wheels(I adjusted the linkage,no improvement)--I've read on here about a snap ring breaking on the tailshaft,and allows the main shaft to slide back and forth in the case,and cause that problen,also the shift forks wearing down can do it too I guess--I have heard a few "clunks" once in a while,but I'm not sure if the noise comes from the t-case,or the rear end(I might have a gov-lock in it--never had the diff cover off yet,hope its not that either!)--I did score a cheap spare transfer case at a swap meet,that I hope is a good one,in case mine ends up like the one in your picture!:yikes: :yikes: ..

9. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Hello

diesel4me - If you think your 208 is on the frits, I would strongly recommend replacing it, especially if you already have a spare. Its not a difficult or long swap. If I was going any faster, the way my t-case broke off and how it was binding up on my drivelines, I could have done some serious damage, which I'm thankful for it didn't happen.

I got my truck all back together and I have a bunch of little parts from my old t-case all over my shop.