Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

some body remind me why?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Jan 8, 2002.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

after putting in the new engine tranny and xfer case steering gear box master cylinder calipers and pads, i now have yet to be able to get the rear brakes to bleed, and i still have that persitent squirelly front end, that is driving me crazy to the point i am looking hard everytime i drive by a dealership.
    somebody remind me why i do not sell and buy a new GEO
    no break downs good mileage more cash in pocket!!!
    extremely frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Because it's fun and you know you love it... that's why you do it. Who are you trying to fool! [​IMG]

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Not sure what state your 89 is in as far as tires, gears, and such, but the reason why you don't trade it in is it is not a K5, end of it, and you will have a payment more than likely, and it will break down eventually. The thing to look at for the steering is ball joints and or linkage ends. These are relatively cheap and should solve the wobbley feeling. As far a brakes bleeding, did you bench bleed the master cylinder, if not, it could take you a while to get fluid to rears. Bench bleeding isn't hard, but since you already have it mounted, just have someone assist you in depressing the brakes why you watch the resevoir until all airbubbles stop, then bleed the brakes and it is still going to take a lot of fluid and some knocking on the calipers, portioning valve and end of piston cylinder with a hammer, to dislodge air pockets. I did basically what you did, and it eventually worked out.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This may be a dumb question but have you checked the toe-in? Bad toe in will make it squirrely...

As for why...because deep down you know the K5 is built right, unlike the disposable trash that gets passed of as a vehicle now a days.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Someone remind me too. [​IMG] PI is in the shop AGAIN! Only I refuse to let it get the best of me.

Here we go again! LOL!

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What happened now Steve? Tell me it ain't the tranny again...if it is, take it as a sign from God that you really need a SM 465.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well if you get a Geo. And you are sitting at a stoplight and someone pulls next to you in your old K5 at least you will be able to check out his running gear real close and see what you gave up.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

No the tranny is about the only part I am not gonna have to mess w/ this time. [​IMG] I have a post whining about it. LOL!

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

9. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Hate to be so blunt, but, you'd look stupid in a Geo, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Good question, I've been asking this same thing myself. I don't think one weekend has gone by without me working on it since last October. Its been new rear axels, seals, bearings, brakes, ujoints, starter, alternator, waterpump, fuel pump....now its the carb and the intake manifold leaking oil in the combustion chamber and I'm fogging the neihborhood every time I start it. I paid $500 for this thing a year ago and ran fine, then one day in September I don't know what happened but it has needed work on something evey week. But you couldn't get me to part with it now, I've got too much time and money invested in it. If I got rid of it now, I'd kick myself because there is more new than old, and it's got to hit a point where I can drive it for more than 5 days without having to do something on it. But I don't mind either, because its a lot more fun than a car payment. I just visit Napa once a week and give them about 50 bucks and we're both happy.[​IMG]
    That's about it.

See ya

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

11. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

This happens to me everytime I have unexpected expenses (i.e. I break something). This also always happens when I'm saving for something cool for my blazer. The thing is...
    a. if I sell my blazer someone will buy it and I'll just start over
    b. the person who buys it will no doubt chrome everything (chrome rollcage, brakes, 60lights on some cheesy lightbar, chrome rims etc.)
    c. I'll ache for more room in every vehicle I buy and want my baby back
    d. what people don't realize is this... If I bought a new truck that could go everywhere my blazer goes, it would cost me over 20,000 just for the vehicle. This does not count lockers, rollcage, tires, suspension etc. My current investment is still under 20,000 bucks and I can carry 5 people comfortably and drive highway speeds.
    Everytime I break something major (lately its been my Arizona Drivelines driveshaft), I say "god I should sell my damn blazer". But then I come to my senses, fix what needs to be fixed and go back out the next weekend.
    Juanito Loco PRescott Valley, AZ

chrome sucks

12. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I'd rather spend the ten grand on my K5 than on a Geo. Then I could drive over all those Geos that get in my way. Not to mention that my 74 is is going on 28 years old and I expect it will still be going when that disposable Geo is recycled into a can.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

13. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

all that stuff is new within the last 8 months
    Really just frustrated at the moment and needed some reassurance, not really thinking about selling, and if i did it would not be for a GEO, maybe a 98 -00 suburban, but not a GEO
    new tires in july 33-1250
    new wheels same time 15x8
    just prior to wheels and tires tire rod ends and ball joints
    sept new 411's front and rear and lockright in the front
    about 5 different alignment shops since october
    november 2 new steering gear boxes
    december new engine tranny and xfer case
    dec new master cylinder new calipers front
    january another new gear box
    and to answer the bench bled ? yes bench bled until no bubbles
    got the front new calipers to bleed out fine with the vacuum pum, but when it came to the rear brakes, i still cant get them to bleed out. taking it to the shop in the a.m. to let them see wha they can doo.
    was wondering if a rear brake cylinder could cause a leak on the suction , but not on the pressure, because i am not getting any leakage??

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

14. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i think i would feel pretty stupid in a geo as well, and quite unprotected.

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hmmm....

5. Chicks dig big trucks [​IMG] (Even ask Brandy, Steph or Lara LOL)
    4. It is good ole american iron and steel... not plastic and a foriegn 4 banger
    3. Driving a big truck just plain rocks!
    2. You sure can do a heck of a lot with your Blazer for the 15 grand a chessey Geo costs with decent options.
    and #1...

Ya gotta dig the little kids going ape over your rig [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

16. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

because you want something you made and created yourself something thats the way you want it to be.something that will take the punishment you will give it.something you can take damn near anywhere and back again.something that looks cool to you and the odd few who understand it.something big and loud that stands out on its own.
    something that will move that little honda out of your way.
    now does that sound like a geo?
    besides all the time you put into it already its a quest now to make it right.
    how many of us have bashed our knuckles on blocks
    sliced our hands on rusty steel burned our hands on hot headers ruined our favorite shirt with oil and gasket sealer
    got god knows what in our eyes trying to find that damn clicking noise stood freezing in the snow swapping an intake
    drove 25 miles then remembered we didnt tighten the crossmember bolts or said "those dont look big enough,lemme see the 38s"dropped a t-case on our foot TWICE! poured 6 quarts of oil into the motor then realised we didnt put the drain plug back in (ok,last two maybe just me)
    you just cant have that kind of fun with a geo.
    goodluck

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"

17. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]i am starting to feel a little better
    took it to the shop for a power bleed and they said it took over 10 minutes to get all the air out and then they hit the brake pedal and it faded to the floor. the new maste cylinder(not reman) was bad, and the squirrely front end may have had something to do with the bolts tot he new gear box were nottight
    i wonder how that could have happened hmm hmm???

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?