Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

some close up pics of my new project "cut dash" and other mods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Apr 21, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

some close up pics of my new project \"cut dash\" and other mods

Tell me what you think. I borrowed my sisters digital camera. I will be posting my new dash etc asap.
    Juan
    link
    http://community.webshots.com/album/30273072wxuaWrSrBD

2. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Re: some close up pics of my new project \"cut dash\" and other mods

I think it looks naked! haha. I always wondered what exactly was under the dash. I am planning a custom dash myself soon and am glad I had a chance to see what I was getting into. Thanks. So what exactly are your plans for the dashboard? Keep us posted.

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

actually it's already done. I have to take pics though

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Very nice---i wanna see it done----was it hard or just rip everything out, are you gonna mount guages and how, and about the heater------don't you live in Phx? or does it act as an AC also. i wanna do the same thing, but i am gonna tie something into the cage and run a bar across the cab and mount guages and suff to that.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

yeah, the crossbar actuall is close to the firewall now and two bars come down from there onto which a aluminum guage panel and artcarr mount are mounted. It looks pretty trick. Now I just have to save for guages. Think I'll run autometer phantoms.
    Juan

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That is great! I need to know, after you pull the dash off does the cage underneath just unbolt or does it have to be cut off? I noticed there are 2 bolts on each side but it looks like it hooks under the window seal. I am having an aluminum stock car dash made for mine.
    Brent

7. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

whats your cage made of?chromemoly or? doing this to a c10 cab on blazer frame for rock buggy.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice, my rig will be getting similar treatment as soon as I get started on the "body phase". I'm thinking mostly with the front two supports going down the fire wall, with two cross bars forming the new dash lines. Looking forward to your pics...

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

The dash must be cut out. I removed the windshield to do this and I used tinsnips and a cut off wheel to make the cuts. I do live in Northern AZ and it can get pretty cold so a heater is important. Also, last year in Moab it snowed and I didn't have my top or doors on and it was cold without a heater. My cage is not chromoly (I couldn't afford it). I make up for the weight by cutting off as much sheetmetal when I can. Hee hee.
    Juan

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Did you make the rocksliders? Or buy them?

11. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

They were made by two friends. Since I weld like a blind monkey, I had one guy weld in thick reciever hitch-like tubing and box it's ends. Later on, I figured I would like to use my jack on these rocker guards and they also make a great strap attachment etc. The tubes were welded on by randy ellis over at www.randyellisdesign.com.
    The box tubing itself is super secure. It is actually welded in and mounts to the same places that the bodymounts are located. As anyone who has wheeled with me can attest, I use and abuse those rocker guards like crazy. I've jacked one whole side of the truck in the air and actually drove off while it was up. I've slammed them into rocks coming down and up obstacles and I use them to pivot the vehicle on tight rocky turns.

They work but the idea was stolen. I had asked several shops down in Phoenix (major rockcrawling enthusiasts) and they said that "the thing to do" is to cut out the rockers and weld in tubing. Most of these guys wanted buku bucks so I saved and had a buddy weld them in. The results were professional and best of all they work as planned. I can't go back to stock though (as if that were ever in the plan).
    Juan
    Juan