Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some flex pics from testing today.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, May 25, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'v been testing different wrap bars at this local rock. I thought for sure the Park Ranger was stopping to site me but instead he asked if he could take a picture. He said from a distance it looked like an accident scene. The truck flexed out nicely.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Looks nice, which setup you trying out now?

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

This one here -
    http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/iconboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3ed1875e7d0fffff;act=ST;f=12;t=14;st=0;r=1#entry3

It bolts to the spring pack as the U-Bolt plate and mounts a bushing up under the front of the spring eye. It always keeps one side tight under articulation but the other side is allowed to drop free so it doesn't restrict flex. It does a great job of controlling spring wrap and helps a little to limit anti-squat. I pulled my V-bar off modify it and try some new stuff. As you can see, the V-bar(right picture) , as effective as it was at eliminating wrap and killing all anti-squat, it couldnt flex as well.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

looks great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

talk about droop !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I might flip my overloads for a day and see how much more stuff it will allow - last time I did that it was may too much but I want to see if these wrap bars limit anything at all -

Flipped overloads (look at where the top of the rim is in comparison):
    [​IMG]
    that picture still cracks me up.. it would have stuffed further but I hadn't trimmed the fenders yet, so it was resting on fender in that shot!

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

NICE........ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I went out wheelin last night with a local group of friends. I ended up high centered and dug in on the top side of a large hill. The hill turned out to be a mulch pile made by the city and extrememly soft. It took about an hour to dig out. I ended up running speed runs instead and some lighter climbing to reward those who helped dig me out. Found out that the wrap bars unload when braking and allow the truck to stop much faster than previously with my other bars. also found that the truck sounds like Nascar in 4 low when you blow a muffler off... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    also found that the truck sounds like Nascar in 4 low when you blow a muffler off...

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

those are SWEET bars.... and dont limit clearance much at all do they? where do i order a set heh /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Went out wheeling last night in a local spot and got high centered and stuck at the top of the large vertical face hill. Wasn't looking forward to getting it free'd up and sliding back down the face in the dark. When I got out to see just how stuck I was, I realized I was on top of a city mulch pile... which proved the high lift to be totally useless (it would just sink). It took a lot of digging but we finally freed it up. I rewarded the goup that helped me dig out with an alternate wheeling trail and some high speed trail running. The wrap bars unload when braking and allowed the rear suspension to really do its job when braking - it stops faster now than with any of the solid mounted wrap bars so that was a bonus. I'm kinda glad I had these on as compared to the lower hanging V bar on getting high centered might have taken longer to get out. The truck really sounds like nascar reved out in 3rd gear , 4 low ehn you've blown a muffler off. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Cool deal Mike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been trying to find something for everyone and not just those with access to a fabricator. Most everything available requires welding or relocating of major components. They are definatley the trade-off I was looking for which is why I made them available. I still have other designs I'd like to try, and as always I like to share results of how each one works in comparison to the next. Some of the others have more potential which I havent built into them but they require much more work to install and are more expensive to build.

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

What are you running up in front ? (springs, shackles, shocks and such). Looks pretty dawg-awn flexy - whet ever it is.

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I think the weight of the 38's and the d60 plays a big role in how flexy the front is. I'm still running stock shackles with unmodified rancho 4" springs.. and sway bar disconnects. I just made new front 3/8" thick shackles which have 1/2" and 1 1/2" longer relocation holes, I'm going to try both settings and see what I get. I'm still running without crossover too.. so I have a draglink limiting strap on the drivers side. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

dont you think those things will dig in to something while the tires drooped and the "slapper" bar is dangling down? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been running two locations on them, one above and one below. The above mount uses an additional clamp at the spring eye so the bars stay above the leaf, even under articulation. The above mount is also adjustable at the front clamp so it can adapt to different springs or lifts. I ran both becuase of concerns with the above mount contacting the bump stop, but it cleared it.