Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some good disk brake install info.that I found out about.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMCJimmy, May 23, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

A friend took his G/f's 96 chevy 2 wheel drive truck to Just Brakes because something was wrong with them and it was eating pads. Apperently that the last person to work on the brakes (previous owner) had put new calipers on and not installed them correctly. He said when putting new calipers on almost any vechicle it is very common to have to grind the calipers so that it can move freely and not stick. I never heard this before. Most people when they have a sticky caliper just through a new one on and don't really fix the problem. I know I did. The truck now drives better than ever. Maybe if I do this I'll get a longer brake pad life! Hope this was helpful and a plug for Just Brakes, they seem pretty good.

Later
    Mike

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

siezed caliper guide pins?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have never had to grind them but I have had to clean the guides OFTEN to remove mud and dirt from wheeling /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I just redid my fronts that the passenger side was so jammed up one pad was worn out .It was also worn into a wedge shape.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have never seen chev style wear pads properly
    my 60 is easy on pads

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah that's true but this was beyond the normal uneven wear.
    I am so hacked. the rubber bushings that go in the ears of the calipers where the guide pins ride on were worn out from the mud. The calipers were reasonably new and it excelent shape. I could not find those parts for nothing! I checked with about 3 places (zone, pep and advanced) and could not get them unless I got a rebuilt caliper. Didn't have time to drive halfway accross town to Napa to see if they had them. Just rolled them inside out to buy some time.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you check a Genuine Chevy service manual there's a specified gap at the sides of your calipers. Sometimes you need to take a file to the caliper or mount to remove burrs too.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I did that search once
    ended up spending more then a rebuilt caliper
    was real POd when i bought a set of calipers and all the guide pin bushing were included for less then i paid.
    dealer item$$