Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some help please... Front hubs...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 19, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

The other day I had my front left ball joints replaced, and while disassembling the hub, we found a crapload of broken metal pieces. I have Auto Locking hubs that I will be replacing soon, but there is a thin plate with a few holes and notches in it that is supposed to go between the two adjusting nuts on the axle shaft. I have no idea what this ring is called or where to get it... I will likely need 2, so i can do the other side right away too...

Does this ring come in a hub service kit, or do I have to find it at a GM parts dealer?

Also, what brand of lockouts would you guys suggest for a weekend crawler rig... It will never be a full time trailer queen, but at the same time, I'll be looking for the hardest trails in Wisconsin once I get it off the pavement. Right now, we took a piece of the broken ring to keep the gap between the 2 adjusting nuts, so I'm not rolling around in 4wd right now, but I'd really like to get it fixed asap...

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

holy crap dont drive on it like you have it now, that ring is a locking ring that holds you wheel on, I dont think they will come with a hub service kit, the easiest way would be to go to a junkyard and find them there.
    As for the hubs, I recommend some Warn premiums.

3. PhoenixZorn

the locking ring that I'm talking about is basically just a spacer between the two nuts... yeah... i know I shouldn't be driving on it, but I check it periodically to make sure it isn't lose. i have to drive it, since the stanza is currently on the sidelines... with more wheel, axle and exhause problems than I care to talk about...

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

its not a spacer, those holes line up with a "nipple" on the first nut and there is a notch in the spindal that the rings goes into locking it all together.

5. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Yup, you can get them seperate or with a kit. Ask for the spindle nut kit. I found them at Napa and O'reilly's here in town. :)

Spindle nut kit

6. PhoenixZorn

yeah I know... I found the part with the hole for the nipple and the notch, slid it into place, and put the second nut on... it's a temporary fix, I don't drive like I stole it, and I'm actively looking for a replacement part.

Searched "Spindle" on AutoZone.com and came up with "Spindle Lock Nut" which they don't have available yet... I'll keep looking, but it may be the weekend before I'm close enough to any store that would have this thing...

7. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Sweet, there ya go, theres a link for the napa ones

8. PhoenixZorn

Ok... ordered them from the local parts shop... likely will pay out my ass for them, got both sides right away, as well as a set of Warn Lockouts since my autolockers are tore the hell up. Time for me to learn how this stuff works.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you might have more problems now. check your inner nut and see if the pin is still there or broke off.

and if you get a tool for the nuts get the one with notches cut out between the 4 drive pins that hold the nut. the cheep ones dont have this and will break the pin off easy.

dont ask me how i know this .

10. PhoenixZorn

It's all good sweetk30, I bought new inner and outer nuts too, just to be complete and safe... They were $7.00 each, I figured I coudn't go wrong... and I'll be looking at the socket first hand before I buy it, so I'll look for the pin slot...

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

cool buddy. just watching out for all ck5ers on the simple stuff we all forget. and those dam jap sockets will get you all the time.

12. PhoenixZorn

Ooo... thanks for the warning... those damn Jap sockets are what my parts guy has.... ****... I'm gonna go over there to see what he's got.. I'll be pissed if they aren't right...