Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some kind of bad Heat Soak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Jun 8, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

So I read and read and read and got so fed up with my heat soak and its increasing severity I wired in a remote starter selenoid. While I was at it, I went ahead and reran all my other alternator and associated guage wires all nice and neat against the firewall. Could finally breath a sigh of relief as everything I read said this setup cured heat soak. So I run across town all excited to show off my new mod to some friends, shut down the truck, jump back in a behold the hard turn over from heat soak again!! Lets just put it this way, an hour after shutting my truck down, I dropped the starter down to see if anythign else was goign on up there and it was still to scolding hot to let rest on my chest with a cotton shirt on and all, the bolts holdign it up were only touchable for like 15 seconds.....What next? Dont have a selenoid heat sheild.....could it be the selenoid itself or just the headers being so close its just baking everything down there regardless.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Y'all are gonna find this hard to believe but put a Furd solenoid inline prior to the solenoid on your starter. Furd stand alone solenoids put out more umph than they take in and cures the hot starting problems. I had a Vette motor stuffed in the front of a Datsun pickup for a while and this setup cured all of my starting problems. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Allan

3. BowtieBlazer

[ QUOTE ]
    So I read and read and read and got so fed up with my heat soak and its increasing severity I wired in a remote starter selenoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

happens to be a ford one in front of the old one, still got the problem, like I said I'm baffled

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Have you considered getting a heat shield for the starter? Ive got the heat soak too and the remote selonoid and Im thinking about getting one, I think they are only $30 from summit.

5. BowtieBlazer

I need to grab a summit mag and look around. Its getting way too hot!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Have you checked the clearance between the starter teeth and the ring gear teeth? If it's too tight it will bind when hot and make it seem that the starter is weak. Any decent shop manual will have the specs and a picture of how to measure it. If it's too tight you just stick a shim between the starter and the block.

After driving for a while, any starter is going to be too hot to touch. It's bolted to the engine block which is running in the 160-210 degree range. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If your headers are really close to the starter then a heat shield will definitely help keep the starter cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

I just called NAPA and they can get the asbestos wrap. The parts guy said it's something like 55 bucks for a roll. This could maybe do the trick.

Allan

8. BowtieBlazer

next time it binds I'll get out and check if its sticking...where can shims be had from?

9. HarryH3

Any decent parts store will have the shims. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check your timing while your at it too. If the starter's still that hot, so is the motor. If timing is too far advanced, it will start fine when cold, but will just about turn over when hot/warm. I'm not saying that is your problem, but definitely something to check.

11. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I had the exact problem in my 72 nova. I put in a ford solenoid, new starter, heat shield and still had the problem. I opted to buy a mini high torque starter and my problem went away. I paid $100 with s/h off of ebay. Well worth it after spending almost that trying to figure it out.

12. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Did you remember to wire the starter to the old solenoid? The kit I bought from Summit comes with a metal plate that contacts the old solenoid and the starter. So throw that ford trash in the coulee by your house and buy one from Summit. Hope this helps.

13. BowtieBlazer

I had to wire in the old selenoid otherwise it wouldn't throw the starter into gear.

14. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    So throw that ford trash in the coulee by your house and buy one from Summit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Uh, don't look now, but that kit from Summit comes with a, OhMyGawd!, Ford solenoid! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You can make your own little buss bar to connect the GM solenoid directly to the starter power post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Well I'll be damned. Shows what I know.

16. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

While you have you credit card out I suggest the 1 gauge wire kit from summit. I think Mine was about $40. It came with the battery ends made on and plenty of cable to trim off to your length. Then some crimp on ends. I added some heat shrink tubing to the crimp ends to ward off corrosion. It also came with some cable restrainers and a battery hold down kit.

On the sheild side of things, I made one out of and old soup can to cover the solinoid on a 73 Blazer that was equipped with headers. That truck broke me of ever wanting headers on one of my vehicles again. Between the hot start probs and the bolts loosening themselves and blowing gaskets I never installed another set.

Good Luck
    Rich

17. rdwest1369

rdwest1369 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

On the sheild side of things, I made one out of and old soup can to cover the solinoid on a 73 Blazer that was equipped with headers. That truck broke me of ever wanting headers on one of my vehicles again. Between the hot start probs and the bolts loosening themselves and blowing gaskets I never installed another set.

Good Luck
    Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

had the same problem with my 72 Jimmy went through starters all the time replacing the spring in the solenoid with part#1978281 spring worked for a while but didnt eliminate the problem Installing a heat sheild worked w/o problems but as been said in other posts this experience put me completely off headers
    get a heat sheild
    good luck
    RichW