Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

some kinda rubber sheet stuff instead of inner fenders...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Oct 2, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I asked the guys over at POR about this, and naturally I didnt get any useful responses. At any rate, I wanna ditch my inner fenders at some point but I dont want water/mud/crap to fly off my tires and cake my engine. To solve that problem, I want to make some kind of simple protection for my engine that wont get in the way. Ive heard of some peeps using conveyer belt material for this kinda thing. Dunno where I'd get that kinda thing, cheap or otherwise. What do you guys use? where'd ya get it? pics? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

j

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have a lot of conveyor belt you might have noticed me mention it before. Thats what I will use if I do this. Sorry it would be hard for me to ship it you. My dad got it from a Post Office when he worked for a Commercial construction company. Not really sure where you can get it yourself. Industrial supply company?

3. jekbrown

cmon man, hook it up!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I dont need to much I dont think... and it couldnt cost all that much to ship. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'll see how much I have /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. jekbrown

woo-hoo!! [​IMG]

j

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Masticated rubber is what the stuff is called that GM used for the inner fender "seals". Don't think it would hold up very well to rocks hitting it, so probably not a good choice. Expensive as well.

Not real huge, but common, mudflaps off of semi-trucks are very thick rubber, thick enough to run bolts through. Thin enough to cut with a razor knife as well. May not be big enough in any dimension to work, but I made a set of "inner fender" mudflaps for the rear out of these, to keep the garbage from reaching the rockers/seat belt area.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't see why you want to lose your inners so bad.

I beat mine back and bolted them to the cab floor and they worked out great. I have cut until my front fenders are very roomy and still have my inners and no issues.

8. jekbrown

yeah, i doubt these would hit a rock unless I was rollin over... plan on mounting them about as inboard as is sane considering I dont want to melt them on my headers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Good idea on the mud flap material tho, them big azz semi ones are thick as hell. Some big fender washers n bolts would keep em in place. If the mud flaps were'nt long enough for this app... a couple of them suv "runner" floor mats cut-to-length might work. hmmm...

j

9. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't see why you want to lose your inners so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

its all part of the s-10 cab conversion / masterplan. Besides, standing next to your engine to work on it is cool. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maybe some vinyl floor mat stuff would work maybe?

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my dad lines the inner and rear inner fenders on his truck and puts a pair of them on reach side of his truck in the winter...looks kinds funny...stock 3/4 with semi flaps on it..but it sure does keep the salt of!

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A guy I know used 4 of those sleds that are made of a sheet of polyurethane,the ones that are blue and roll up--you can get them in the kids toy section of wal-mart,etc.He used them to line the inner fenderwells to keep the salt from splashing everywhere on his new nissan pickup--seemed to work just as good as the ones J.C.Whitney sells(looks just like them too!).I like the semi-truck mudflap idea--or how about an old bed or cargo mat.I have gotten conveyor belts for free at local food warehouses,doesnt matter if its junk for the conveyor,its great for floormats and in the bed area.It helps to know the janitor at places like this--when you need to pick stuff out of the rubbish,he's the guy to bribe with the six pack of Coors Lite! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

semi mud flaps are not long enough for inner fenders.for all the work your going to do, just buy new inners at a place that sells body parts. they are only about $30.00 each for after market s**t.or if yours are not that bad just keep e'm and bend e'm where you need them.unless you can find a 3 ft wide belt it won't do any good anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i do have a conveyer belt at work now though, one of our drivers hit an overpass and smashed it. the belt between the paddles is about 4 ft long. the only thing is how to get it to you? i could send it C.O.D. and you could beat up the driver. HA HA HA , or see if there is a ABC SUPPLY near .or any roofing supply place. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have to see tomorrow but as long as I have enough to keep a good supply for myself and my dad I'm sending him a length. Mine has no paddles it just has like a criss cross pattern that must have gripped some rollers.

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Why not a trash can?

17. jekbrown

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

no idea what a trashcan has to do with the subject at hand... care to inform those of us not inside your head what you are talking about? lol! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There are a couple of guys in our club with S-10 hybrids. They both cut sections out of an old semi trailer tarp. I'm not exactly sure what type of material it is, but is fairly heavy but flexible enough where they can just roll it up if they need to work on the engine or if it's hot and dry out.

19. jekbrown

thanks for the responses guys, as always, about 500x more useful than the "responses" i get over at POR... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks again,

j

20. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I just did this exact thing. I'm using the biggest mudflaps that they sell from the local Fleet supplier. They were only about 8 dollars each and THey cut easily and I used zipties and a drill to mount them. Way cheap, way functional. Before I did this I would fling mud all over the engine and worse yet, the back tires would fling it onto the inside of the windshield and me. That's not very good when I'm wearing dress clothes and on my way to teach at the high school.