Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some Malcontent Has Been Improving My K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The stockness is on it's way out.......................
    :hack: :shame: :deal: :dunno:

Here's a pic of the transfer case that has gone in. It's a 208 that was rebuilt with a fixed rear output. I'm the third CK5 member to possess this little gem. It started out life a few years ago on a K5 that used to belong to a good bud of mine. He then sold it after some modifications. I bought it off that second guy. I paid a whopping $75 from the CK5 classifieds and using the help of some friends from NCOR, who were at one time members here, I was able to get it home. Even though it's only been recently that it got bolted up, I've already done put some wannabe rally racing miles on it when I was covering a VORRA race in Nevada a few years ago. I must add that the driveshaft was given to me by the same member who had the case built. He picked up the case for me from the guy who sold it to me and since he didn't need the shaft anymore, he threw it in for me. I just got it back last night cause it turned out to be too long and I've got a hookup here that works at a machine shop that does side work and he fixed it up for me.:D
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the rear shackle setup as it stands now. Six inch BDS springs that was bought from another CK5 member (it was either Sleddog or daleearnhardt01, I bought springs from both guys). The 2" Belltech drop shackles were bought from another CK5 member. I had mentioned to him that I wanted a set of them and he was perusing the junkyards around Sacratomato one day and found them. He picked them up and sold them to me. I've been told with the BDS springs, they may actually settle down to about 4" and that's what is going into the front. I'm actually gonna be testing a theory that was discussed by me and another CK5 member way back in the day.
    [​IMG]

And the final pic is how the truck currently sits. I think it looks really Okie cool guy pimping cool, but sitting in it is really weird. I turned it around so I could started on the front. I'll be throwing in the 4" BDS springs, welding in a steering box plate and making some custom shackles from 3/8th" plate so in the end, it may actually sit a tad higher up front than out back. I'm keeping the stock steering for now, but by summer I should have crossover hooked up. In the rear, I'm gonna have to go ahead and fix up some shock mounts. The stock ones now are wasted more than a $5 crackwhore the day after payday. I've got access to a semi large shop so the summer time may see a new paint job using hardcore ag paint. If you are wondering about the duct tape, I wrecked yet another window rail in the tailgate, so I have the back window bagged up to prevent moisture from getting inside.
    [​IMG]

And the moral to my blabbering is it pays to be a member of this site. So far I have spent a fraction of $$$ on this stuff by pirating the classifieds and getting good deals. I've bought the stuff from quality members and it's all quality parts. :D

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Nice , I keep forgetting you have a Blazer LOL

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I forget most of the time myself. Poor thing only has about 1700 miles on it since April of '04 and it doesn't even have one mile on it since Feb of '05.

I think I'm about at another month before it's on the road again. I've pretty well given up on the tow rig idea for awhile and getting this one back to where it was with DD duty.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Nothing wrong with driving it . Wheel it too :thumb:

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Hell, all I want to do is wheel it:D

We're getting ready to put in an offer on a house and I figure if I forego the tow rig for now, that's more $$$$ to put into the K5 although Hollister is probably out of the question for a few years:o

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you call that guy?
    we can road trip it out there:)

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Good to see my springs getting used.. :D Although Im not too sure if I sold you the fronts or rears.. :p: Arent those body pucks mine too? I bought those off of sleddog. The steering brace was mine too I believe. Basically sounds like me and sleddog are building your truck :D :D

8. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

Will it/you be ready in time to make it to Amarillo/canadian river the last weekend in Feb?

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yup, sorry about not mentioning the pucks and where I got the brace. Yup, you two have contributed a lot to what I have going on right now:D

The truck no, me yes. I don't have the money to get 'er back on the road in time for the Canadian, but I will be down there on Saturday depending on the weather. We (the wife and me) may stay in Amarillo Friday night, then we'll head down the next morning. We may screw around in her truck (ain't that slightly suggestive:haha: ) down there, she has a lifted '95 Toyota. She's kind of sketchy on wheeling her stuff, but we may get a little in, it's been awhile since the 4wd on her truck has been exercised:D

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I do believe that is the first time I have seen BRB's actual rig:D:bow:.

Ira

11. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What kind of flex do you expect to get out of your rear suspension? I'm interested to hear the theory that you were talking about for the rear suspension. I tried and tried to make the stock rear suspension setup work but never got much flex out of it. Getting my suspension setup properly was one of the most difficult and time consuming parts of the build on my blazer- thanks CK5 for all the info! Good luck and good looking K5.

12. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know the theory too? a lot of rangers in desert racing turn their shackles to tension from compression and get a lot of travel. but then i see so many jeeps and toyotas with compression. Are you therorizing that with more arch in the spring more travel is created with the spring itself, wheras just shackle flip creates a flat spring and the shackle does most of the moving? i dont get it *crys for hours*:grin:

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah!!! What kind of funky monkey ass mess is that you got runnin over there anyways? :D :haha: Who bringht idea was that cobbled mess?:D :haha:

The SPRANGS are upside down, theres holes in them there upside down shackles,,,,the suna a bitchin tires are too big, theres gonne goo-goo stickers blocking the drivers veiw ( violation of vehicle code 1234 STFU NOOB:D ) ,,,theres scotch tape on the top, andit sitting all jacked -up like the Dukes of Hazzard county took a wrong turn!!!!!!:haha: j/k

Looking good man :laugh:

Actually he has sent me some of the most tricked out suspention setups ive ever seen,kind of out of the box.And havent seen since then.Im pretty sure hes doing the whole race/baja type running the last time i checked. I think it looks pretty cool , id like to see more pics of the underneath buiness end of the front if we can. Hey Bubba what happened to the elliptical deal you were gonna do way back when? I think its looking mighty fine :laugh:

Good luck on your project,Bubba

Jacob :laugh:

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Man, I'm a poor public servant, I can't afford that type of bling, though the dream would be 4-link in rear, TTB up front. I'm just going for the cheapest pseudo wannabe prerunner build-up I can at this point...............

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I sold you the front BDS 4"ers. I forgot you even had a K5, lounge lizard

16. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Let me ask. Why do you have the "drop" shackles in there. maintain stock ride height? Then why bother with lift springs? Am I missing something?

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i believe that he used the lift springs for wheel travel, even though they are stiffer, they will still travel more than a stock spring. the lowering shackles are to keep it at a decent height to keep the COG low.

it took me a while to figure why he did it like that, its the only logical explination i can come up with.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Pretty much. It won't be stock height, everything should be about 4" higher after it's all said and done. Just have to wait and see.

This came from a conversation that I had with an old member on this here very forum about 5 years ago............................:eek1:

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Me too. :eek1:

Time to get out and excersise, um, things.:D

20. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

sooo...when are we gonna get the update?..haha i'm still interested in this so i cant let it go.