Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Some more York on board air ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 55Willy, Sep 13, 2001.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Some more York on board air ?\'s

Who here has done a York set up?
    Do you like the way it turned out?
    What size tank are you using with the system?
    How much $ you do you have into it?
    If you aren't pleased with it, what would you do different?
    and could you post some pics of your set up, I'm thinking of added on board air to the list of gotta haves for the Willy's. cus when I'm at the coast and have to air back up it is a pain, the closest gas station removed thier air hook up and Les Schwabs is closed on sundays so I end up driving around town looking for the place with the shortest line. Thats fine for now but with the Willy's I don't want to have to do that. Plus with the idea of being able to run air tools when I have to change a tire will come in handy with the 8 lugs.

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Some more York on board air ?\'s

I have done a york setup. Here's a pic onboardair.com for $75 or more. I also got my compressor used for $35 instead of buying a new one for over $200. The largest expense was the pressure switch, braided line, high temp air line, and the fittings to put it all tgether.

I would highly recommend a York. After having one I, I use it for more than just 4wheeling, air is a handy thing to have camping and working on the truck when your bud forgot the compressor. Just keep it oiled and it should last forever. If you have any more questions drop me a line, I can e-mail you some pics of the tank, and more shots of the compressor.

BIGJ

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

what's the benefit of using the york over the stock gm a/c compressor?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The GM compressor is lubricated with Freon...so unless you can figure a way to oil it it won't work for long. Thats what I've heard. The York's have an oil resevoir with a fill/check plug and put out the most volume.

I'm currently working on mounting and plumbing a york right now.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I know only one guy that has the gm setup as OBA, and he's been running it for about a year now, no probs that I've heard of. Care to comment, WK?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

6. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

My Dad has an a/c compressor that he use's for work all of the time, almost daily. I'm not sure if he figured into play the oiling system but he has used his canstatly for running tools, presure checking gas lines, airing up his air bags,etc. for a little over 3 years now without any problems yet but he may have just got lucky thus far and maybe it will go out tomorrow, I don't know.

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

7. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

my york is awesome i ahve about $50 bucks into right know but im done puting together what i would do differnt is lower my brackets so i could put a hood on if wanted to (its a inch to high) and theres another York compresser i think its the volo its smaller and output one i used one out of a 77 ford

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

What kind of volvo and year?

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just got my york #210R from the j/y today. They were in late 70's to early 80's Volvo DL's. I payed $30 for mine. There are a few more at the Ecology that I got it at. The #210 is the model you want. It has a larger displacement than the #209 and #208. The R stands for rear output which makes it ezer to fit under the hood.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

me, see it at
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis

Do you like the way it turned out? YEAP

What size tank are you using with the system? 3 GAL

How much $ you do you have into it? ~100.00

I very happy with it and those who have benefited.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

11. BIGJ

I made a webshots account for my pics. <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jeholsted>http://community.webshots.com/user/jeholsted</a>

Maybe I can do a write up this weekend and get it posted with exactly what I used, what to find, and part #'s for the compressor accessories.

BIGJ

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

How do you tell the difference between the different models? Are they stamped with a number? Did you have to custom fab any brackets? Did you have to add pulleys to anything?

I need OBA, but don't have the skills or the facilities for metal fab. I am debating (still) between a York and CO2.

Brian
    A new day.... May God be with us all.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Tribute</a>

13. BIGJ

You're going to have to do some research to find out what york models are the most desirable ones. Most agree that the Volvo models out of early 80 to late 70 models are the best. But, there is no solid rule on the pulleys, or even if all Volvo's had exactly the same compressor. Most people buy several b/c they are cheap, and that gives them some options on pulleys and the pumps. Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.onboardair.com>www.onboardair.com</a> for info. They have a links page that will give you some places to look. You can also pull the pulley and look at the shape/bevel of the output shaft and that will tell you which one is the highest output. I did a TON of research before I actually went looking in the salvage yards.

BIGJ

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I did a search on here of previous post and found some info on them. The Volvo are the more desired cus the fittings don't stick up like a Ford so there aren't clearence problems. The ID # stamped on them will show the stroke, the longer the stroke the more air it produces. So one with a #210R for example would have a 10" stroke and the R means the fittings are out the back, this I hear is the prime one to get. I would be cool for one of you to do a write up on a walk thru on the assemble of OBA and the list of what parts you used, I.E. gauges, fittings, hoses, regulator,etc... does anyone on here have connections to get air tanks or any of the parts, like if someone worked at a salvage yard and kept an eye out for the right pumps or if some one could get a smokin' deal on tanks. Just some ideas. Thanks for you input guys, I'm already sold on the idea of doing it.

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

BIGJ sayed it well. Onboardair.com has all the info. I saw a few on Ferd vans but they were all the 209 type and had the up pointing hoses. I think the mount will have to be fabed. I heard from someone that a 1st gen blazer AC bracket can be made to work. I will be checking on that because my Blazer had factory air.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just got a York from my buddies 79 F250...the fittings do not point up. I'll see if I can find a model number on it tomorrow.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

17. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I used the standard OEM air compressor, plumbed it with 1/4 quick disconnects, wired a lighted switch to the magentic clutch, put a pop off valve at 140 lbs of pressure in line, and have used this set up for about 2 years now, aired tires, ran tools, about 1 a month I drop air line oil in on the suction side, oh yeah I fabbed a airfilter on the suction side, using a large pill bottle and air conditioning filter fabric.

Still a very pissed-off
    White Knight

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by White Knight on 09/15/01 07:06 AM.</FONT></P>