Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

some nice 8's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 55Willy, Dec 5, 2005.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm looking for a set of some nice 8's I'd perfer JL but open to offers. oh and some 5 or 6's with some tweets... redoing my whole system.

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

8's for subs I assume? Budget? Front stage speakers? Power available? Any particular impedance or have you not purchased the amp yet?

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

no amps yet I wanna get a good clear sound not setting it up for DB drags just want good all around sound.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

5. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Not sure what you are suggesting here... are you planning on running these 8's off the headunit? If so, you will be greatly disappointed, DB drags or not.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

no, just as in I don't have the amps for these yet so any power range will work thus far.

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Ah okay gotcha. :thumb:

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I already have a pair of JL 12w6's and i want some good sound in the rear seating area and wish to do some kick panels too with like the 5 or 6 ish speaker and a tweet either in the kick or in the dash. also witht he headliner missing I was thinking of molding in my tweets up there for better tone...am i heading the right way?

9. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

When you decide to go 3-way, you have to decide passive or active. Active crossover networks are superior (more flexibility/control/dynamics) but they are also more complex (most times the owner pieces the system together from component speakers of his choice that meet his needs and work well with each other) and expensive (external processor, more amplifiers, etc). Passives are simpler and cheaper, but also harder to find (not alot of companies offer a true 3-way component set with passives) and don't offer the same performance level (but still great).

If you want to do a 3-way, I suggest tweets and midrange in the kicks, dedicated midbass speakers in the doors. That's a tried and true method of installing 3-way sets in award winning SQ cars for years now. I do not recommend dash mounted tweeters (high freqs reflected off the windshield = bad news) nor do I recommend seperating the tweeter and midrange speakers far from each other. Lastly, I do not under any circumstances recommend placing any of the speakers in this 3-way behind you (not that you've suggested this). If you build a proper 3-way front stage, it will immerse you in the sound and render any rear speakers obsolete (besides the subs).

If you do want rear speakers for the occasional rear passengers, run a rear-fill setup. Basically its just mids that play midrange, at a lower level than the fronts. If you play too high of a frequency in the rears, or too loud, it will pull the soundtage towards the rear.

On the other hand, if soundstages and imaging and all that aren't real important to you, you just want it loud, it doesn't really matter where you place/cram all the speakers. ;)

Cheers.

10. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

very well said!:bow: :bow: :bow: most people over do it and let the stereo shops call the shots:mad:

11. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    jl 8w7, can't go wrong with w7's :)

12. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Unless Im mistaken, he's looking for 8" dedicated midbass drivers, not subs. That being the case, W7's would be a poor choice.

TangBand makes a nice little 8" mid/sub that people rave about for $50 ea (PartsExpress). eD (Elemental Designs) also has a 6.75" speaker called the EU700 that's suppose to belt out some serious midbass. There's also the RE XXX and Adire Extremis. There are also several over seas manufacturers like Seas and Vifa that make excellent midbass units.