Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

some "non general" detroit install questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Aug 3, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

some \"non general\" detroit install questions

My detroit will be here Tues, and i know it will be impossible to leave it in the box for to long, with 4x4 shops wanting 200-300 to install and everyone here saying its easy, im going to give it a shot, i printed out Shawn Spicklers instuctions and just have a couple questions.
    1. to pull the axles out do you just unbolt them and pull them out by hand?
    2. The 2 prong keepers have to be reinstalled right?
    3. The adjusting nuts have to turned the same amount as they came out right?
    4.The ring bolts dont have to be marked, they just come out and then go back in?
    5. When do you take the retaining bolt off the locker?
    6. If i mark the bearing caps and put them back in with same amount of turns, i wont blow up the axle right?
    7. Do i need a torque wrench????
    TIA

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: some \"non general\" detroit install questions

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. yes (this sets the backlash and junk)
    4. yes...good idea to clean and lock tight them plus torque to value
    5. once the detroit is in the carrier and the carrier is ready to go back in.
    6. Mark the caps (which side is which and which side is up on each cap) Re-install and torque to value
    7. yes

Rene

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

DO A SEARCH /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Ok here is what I know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes just mark them and count turns. Put them back exactly where they were. If you have a dial indicator you can double check backlash to specs prior to removal if not you should be ok.
    4. No I dont believe so just put them all back in with some red locktite Torque is 150 IIRC.
    5. After you have the carrier and ring gear back together you can remove the locker retainer bolt. That is just what I was told I got mine used and installed it without a retainer bolt just need an extra set of hands.
    6. As far as I know just keep them oriented to how they came out left, right, top, bottom all the same. keep them clean. Torque is 135 IIRC...red locktite too.
    7. yes

Hope this all helps I am sure somebody else will have some other tips to add. Fill with oil and ENJOY /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

DETROITS ROCK /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm retarded, but I have taken a few axles apart, and put them back together, and I have never had any problems. I mark everything to make sure I keep track of it. I make sure there isn't ANY dirt or anything inside it, and I mark the ring gear with blue grease to make sure that it sits right with the Pinion. But I never have used a torque wrench.

I use an impact wrench, and locktight. Never had any problems, and I don't see any problems in the future.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm sorry...but that is just tempting fate. Would you rebuild a motor the same way?

"Hey Jimmy, get me the 3/4" impact, I need to torque the heads." /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

isnt RED loctite the stuff that requires heat to remove?
    what would possess you to use it on any part of a vehicle?
    if the fasteners are torqued properly they shouldnt require any locking compound, so the normal/proper loctite is overkill
    why make next disassembly more difficult then it needs to be